Help with sissy bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sissy bar

Can anyone tell me what size sissy bar with a pad, the high one would fit a 79 XS 1100 special?

We are looking for one, the bike we got had a homemade one on it and it wasn't very pretty.

Also we are considering taking off the old vetter fairing , but would like to keep the windshield, but would need a headlight assembly and light. Wonder how much trouble that would be to do?

Thanks
    Sherry & her motorhead

I can be emailed at sjsohio@columbus.rr.com if you like

I'm in the same boat with the fairing and missing headlight. Just bought the bike from a co-worker and have been looking for about a week steady with no success. I don't even have the mounting brackets on the forks. I have not had much luck finding the headlight assy and the bucket for it. If you find 2 let me know. havent seen any backrests but will keep an eye out for you
    Jim

Comment

Most of the backrests you are going to find are an integral part of a luggage rack. The one I have is a pretty common one that allows removal of the sissy bar and backrest or adjusting its position so that it can be used by either the rear passenger OR the rider. The bar has rear facing extensions that fit into openings in the front of the luggage rack tubes. The sissy bar can be slid forward and backwards (in or out) of the tube and clamped into place. If you are interested in this time of assembly.... there is one on eBay at the moment. I see this type there all the time.
      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

sissy bar

Thanks, I put a bid on it, but I wasn't sure if it was the right one.

Now I know..

Thanks again
        Sherry

And sonicblue03, I will let you know if I find the headlight assemblies 2 of them. One for us and one for you. Have you been able to find just the windshield?

Comment

Sissy Bar/Backrest

Sherry & her Motorhead...
          There are several sissy bar/backrest combos available for the XS 1100.
          There is a place in Ohio that will sell you one (sissy-bar) for about $30.00
          (ricepaddydaddy)
          If you intend on using a "highback" seat of any kind Yamaha insists that you use a "sissy bar"
          In fact the sticker on my NOS Yamaha XS 1100 King & Queen seat says that very thing !!
          Some 1100's came with "luggage" as far as I know both the Vetter (Windjammer) & the "Genuine Yamaha" both came with "trunks" mounted on their luggage racks (behind the seat)
          In BOTH cases it is highly recommended that one use a "sissy bar" for BOTH applications...as the "trunk" WILL NOT support the weight & pressure of a person "leaning back" on it
          My '80 SG has the "Genuine Yamaha" Touring package: fairing/bags/trunk/K & Q seat...it has the stock "grab rail", a "sissy bar" and a "trunk" on the luggage rack.
          Some people will try to tell you that you CANNOT put ALL THREE on your bike...E-mail me for photo's.
          Now my '81 SH has the Vetter (WindJammer) with the Sampsonite Luggage & "trunk" on the luggage rack.
          It however does NOT have a "King & Queen" seat...so it has the type of "backrest" that is made into the luggage rack...and it can be slid forward or backward depending on your need...my '80 has the EXACT same set-up...except the '80 has the "King & Queen" seat and therefore MUST ALSO have the "sissy bar"
          When I ride passengers I simply remove the "adjustable" backrest and they can lean back on the seat...that's SUPPORTED by the "sissy bar"
          It is a Safety issue...and should be considered carefully...in order to assure both you and your passengers' safety.
          If you need further assistance...I'd be more'n happy to help where I can...Oh by the way...try going to jcwhitney.com and look for a windshield there...and there must be a MILLION scrapyards that will have your headlight bucket...I believe the XS 750/850 & 1100 all shared the same "bucket" in fact there's one on E-bay now...go to e-bay MOTORS... then MOTORCYCLES,type in yamaha xs1100...and go from there
          Good luck & happy hunting

"I don't Wanna Pickle...I just Wanna ride my MOTORSICKLE"
          "ARLO GUTHRIE cir-1963"
          MO-N-STEVE
          '79 SF "MO's Missile"
          '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
          '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
          '80 SG "The BEAST"
          '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
          '81 SH "The NEW KID"
          '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

There's aheadlight pot and arms on EBay right now...
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35598
            '79 Special

Comment

Thanks for the info

Will it show it to him. Wasn't sure if too rusty. Was going to ask him before I bid on it If I don't maybe the other person looking for one would want to.

You guys are great.

Sherry

Comment

headlight assembly

hey there!!
                i found a headlight assembly that works and looks very close to the stock 79 xs1100 special at: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
                it's listed as a replacement for a kawasaki but they have a universal ( which is what i bought) it works and goes together pretty easy and will work with the turn signals on your fairing it lists at $59.95 u.s. you supply the bulb (i used the one from my fairing) good luck and hope this helps!

Comment

I too am looking for an aftermarket adjustable backrest/luggage rack for my '81 XS1100LH. however, since the network administrators at my office do not allow access to eBay, that is out of the question.

Steve, do you have a web addy for ricepaddydaddy? or any other urls listing backrests/luggage racks for the XS?

Comment

Sissy Bar

Brian,
                    The url for rice paddy Daddy is:
                    www.ricepaddymotorcycles.com
                    there are others...but their names escape me...try entering "yamaha parts" in your search engine...Dennis Kirk might have some stuff...I find alot in MC "salvage" yards.
                    I scored a "BRAND NEW" exhaust for an XJ/XS for $160.00
                    "Mac 4 into 1" with a BIG aluminum Cannister...still in the box !!!
                    Hunting is half the fun...do you have a Standard, or Special?...I have a sissy bar for a Standard...I'll sell for $20.00 (plus shipping)
                    It's BRAND NEW, never having been mounted.
                    Good luck...and let me know if you want some pics of the sissy bar.
                    Happy Hunting...
                    Steve
                    MO-N-STEVE
                    '79 SF "MO's Missile"
                    '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
                    '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
                    '80 SG "The BEAST"
                    '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
                    '81 SH "The NEW KID"
                    '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

Steve,
                      thanks for the link!
                      now that fall is coming on and not much riding weather left, figure I'd spruce up the bike a bit.
                      fyi, she, the bike, is the black and gold Midnight Special.

Comment

I have a chrome headlight bucket,chrome ears,chrome ring,headlight complete with round signals. This is a complete unit that is bolt on ready to go. Price quoted will include shipping. Contact me at 1250495-3445 pacific time. No dents chrome good off of a 1980 xs11 special. Andreas.

Comment

Working...
                        X