Exhaust Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Diameter

Anyone know the diameter of the pipe on a Jardine 4-1 after the collector? My oval can broke off and I need a replacement. I cant get the rest of the adapter off the end of the header yet...might have to cut it off. Im looking at replacements and need to know what will slip over the end of the header since I cant measure it right now. Thanks in advance.

Suppertrapp baffles are expensive! Any suggestions on other options, or have something kicking around you'd wanna sell? I would love to find a replacement Jardine oval baffle. Found a guy that will sell me a solid stock 78 exhaust for $175, might have to go that route. I just dont want to have to remove the exhaust every time I change my tire!
    Last edited by WMarshy; 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
    ....Found a guy that will sell me a solid stock 78 exhaust for $175, might have to go that route. I just don't want to have to remove the exhaust every time I change my tire!
    Can't help on the Jardine, but have to ask about the above. First, $175 for a good stock exhaust is very cheap; at that price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Second, you don't have to remove the stock exhaust to change a tire; the bike is set up to prevent that, unless you've made some mods that fouls that up?

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

With the Jardine, you have to remove the baffle to take the tire off.

I dont have/havnet seen a stock 78 exhaust so I assumed that b/c of its length being past the axle bolt, one had to remove the exhaust to take the rear axle out... How else would you do it? Does using the cable thing in the tool box compress the rear shock and allow you to get the axle out without removing the exhaust?
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

With the Jardine, you have to remove the baffle to take the tire off.

I dont have/havnet seen a stock 78 exhaust so I assumed that b/c of its length being past the axle bolt, one had to remove the exhaust to take the rear axle out... How else would you do it? Does using the cable thing in the tool box compress the rear shock and allow you to get the axle out without removing the exhaust?
        It should. thats why its there! not that I would know cause I dont have that and have never seen it. But thats my understanding!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

...I don't have/haven't seen a stock 78 exhaust so I assumed that b/c of its length being past the axle bolt, one had to remove the exhaust to take the rear axle out... How else would you do it?
          The standards came with a 'tire changing' tool; that is a short cable that holds the swingarm up so you can get the axle out without pulling the exhaust. It has a 'sling' that hooks to the shock mount on the FD, two hooks that slip on two other hooks on the upper frame tubing, then one last hook that goes to it's match on the swingarm (that little hook right in front of the axle on the right side). You hook the cable to the FD and the frame, then lean over/on the seat (compressing the suspension) and hook the end. Put the bike up on the center stand, and the axle is above the mufflers. Undo the rear fender bolts and swing the fender up (that's why there's a hinge). Remove the wheel...

Works very slick. If you're missing this, you might check with Andreas. But it wouldn't be that hard to make one out of some aircraft cable, or even just wire if you don't care about getting it into the stock tool kit/box. If you need dimensions/pics, let me know and I'll post 'em....

The specials didn't need these as their mufflers didn't go back that far, and the fenders didn't hang down as much.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Standard Exhaust

If you can get a standard exhaust for 175, you better jump on it!! I f you need the tool for removing axle, I have a spare I will sell.
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I also should have noted you need to remove the seat to swing the fender up out of the way. If you have the cable, you're good to go.

And again, like both Dale and I said, $175 for good stock exhaust is dirt cheap

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Thanks guys, I understand that $175 is cheap for a good stock exhaust but money is tight right now. Im sure some of you can appreciate that. I might try and scatch it up and re-sell it, maybe I can turn a few dollars on the deal, maybe enough to cover a suppertrapp baffle. Im really looking for a cheap solution right now, under $50 would be desirable. Right now it runs like crap, I would post a picture of how bad it looks but my camera phone busted this past weekend too.
                Last edited by WMarshy; 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

Comment

WMarshy,
                  Let me know if you don't go for the stock '78 exhaust... or if ya wanna get it and turn it. I know a guy that's looking for that very thing... provided it is rock solid & nice.
                  Bob
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I will know more this weekend, will let you know what I figure out. Chances are high that Im going to buy it...possibly flip it.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

When I take rear tire off, I just remove the shocks. 4 bolts, and a ratchet strap helps.
                      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                      X