My First Bike XJ1100...NEED HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Bike XJ1100...NEED HELP!!

I just bought my first bike: an '82 XJ11 and decided I would tear it apart. First off, does anyone know were I could get an owners manual?

I found 3/4's of the wiring had been chopped or worn through, then just twisted together, and rewrapped with masking tape! Most of it is corroded, and need replacing. Were could I get a whole new hanress?

I am also having a hard time to start pulling the engine out. All the wiring is removed, as well as the headers, tank, and seat. Were should I start for the engine?

I probably won't have it on the road this year, but I have 8 months of winter up here in Canada to work on it without yard work getting in the way.

Also, Just wondering, whats the difference between an XJ1100, and an XJ1100J Maxim... Just people getting lazy on the Keyboard?

And as a final note, Yes I do realize that an 1100 cc engine is big for a first bike, but I am 6'7'', 305lbs, and make my 1100 look like a Vespa scooter under my bohemoth frame.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Kronk; 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM.
    There are only two types of bikers...
    those that have layed it down, and
    those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
    Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

i just got my first xs11 and i decided to tear her apart as well. mine came with a clymer manual, and i recommend you get one as well. it explains EVERYTHING. also, parts are available at partsnmore.com, mikesxs.com(specifically for the 650, but parts some parts are good for both.) and bike bandit.com. used parts are on ebay all the time.
    last but not least, this website is awesome. i don't have a whole lot of posts, but i have read more than my fair share on this site, and there is a ton of good information available.

have fun, and keep us posted!
    1979 xs1100 in the works

Comment

XJ's unfortunately was only a one year model here in the US (not sure about Canada) so parts are a little harder to find. Engine is the same as the XS's for the most part so thats not a big deal but some of the other things are different. There is a member on the board named CatatonicBug he has a link in his signature line to his personal website that has a few service manuals in PDF form to download.

Good luck with the bike!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome aboard The XS11 was my first bike too, and with prices these days, it seems to be rather common. Just be careful with the power. I'm not sure if they have MSF courses in Canada, but I strongly suggest you look into something like that.

You can download a manual from the link in my signature. The XJ1100 was made in '82, but was also made available thru '84 in Canada. The "Maxim" moniker is just a label that goes with ALL the XJ1100's. I believe it goes with some of the smaller XJ's as well.

Be sure to post pictures of your progress! We like to watch as you go, and it also helps if you need to ask questions along the way. This site has the answer to just about any question you could come up with about these bikes, so feel free to ask away!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Nothinghead View Post
          i just got my first xs11 and i decided to tear her apart as well. mine came with a clymer manual, and i recommend you get one as well. it explains EVERYTHING. also, parts are available at partsnmore.com, mikesxs.com(specifically for the 650, but parts some parts are good for both.) and bike bandit.com. used parts are on ebay all the time.
          last but not least, this website is awesome. i don't have a whole lot of posts, but i have read more than my fair share on this site, and there is a ton of good information available.

have fun, and keep us posted!
          Thanks. I'll try those... for the wire harness, I have only found ones in the same shape as mine... maybe I'll bite the bullet, and make my own

Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            XJ's unfortunately was only a one year model here in the US (not sure about Canada) so parts are a little harder to find. Engine is the same as the XS's for the most part so thats not a big deal but some of the other things are different. There is a member on the board named CatatonicBug he has a link in his signature line to his personal website that has a few service manuals in PDF form to download.

Good luck with the bike!
            Thanks, CatatonicBug says they went to '84 up here, but that doesn't really help because we always but our parts out of the US lol

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Welcome aboard The XS11 was my first bike too, and with prices these days, it seems to be rather common. Just be careful with the power. I'm not sure if they have MSF courses in Canada, but I strongly suggest you look into something like that.

You can download a manual from the link in my signature. The XJ1100 was made in '82, but was also made available thru '84 in Canada. The "Maxim" moniker is just a label that goes with ALL the XJ1100's. I believe it goes with some of the smaller XJ's as well.

Be sure to post pictures of your progress! We like to watch as you go, and it also helps if you need to ask questions along the way. This site has the answer to just about any question you could come up with about these bikes, so feel free to ask away!
              Ya I got it from a co-worker for $1200 whos drunk son laid it down unfortunatly, and did some damage. I already have about 20 pictured of the tear down, and another 5 or 6 before pictures... they help me too to see where things were!
              We do have motorcycle safety courses here for about 600$ and you use and abuse all their gear, and bikes.
              thanks for the manuals,

Comment

i see wire harnesses on ebay quite a bit. the xj fuse box is a failure point plan on replacing it with a blade type fuse box see tkat or summit racing for one. good luck.
                82 xj1100j
                4-1 header
                k&n air pods
                accel coils
                progressive rear shocks
                dyno jet kit
                79 xs1100es (love of my life) passed away

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB View Post
                  i see wire harnesses on ebay quite a bit. the xj fuse box is a failure point plan on replacing it with a blade type fuse box see tkat or summit racing for one. good luck.
                  Ya, all the fuses are, as it stands, 2 wires taped to the ends of a fuse and the whole cluster is wrapped in a zip lock bag held on, again, with masking tape.

Comment

Ya just gotta luv P.O.'s.........

Ghost is much the same under the cover....glass fuse holder ripped out...and everything hacked in.....T.C. has a groovy little holder that i picked up and swapped out...worked well. need to do it to 'Sunshine as well.
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

The XJ 1100J Maxim is called by shorter names, including XJ, XJ11, Maxim, XJ1100J...confusion is that Yamaha used the Maxim name on several smaller models as well. when you look for parts make sure you specify the XJ1100J Maxim.

Differences between the XS and XJ1100? Check this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=difference

Manuals...Neither Clymer or hayes published an XJ1100 manual, at leat in the US. The XS manuals can be used as a general guide, but better off getting an XJ manual due to differences noted in the thread listed above. Dealers used to be able to get the factory manual, but list member rockjoc scanned both the Owner's manual and Service manual to a CD. Contact him to see if he still has these available, price was reaonable and it has the correct manuals for your bike. Same CD now has other useful manuals on it, including Vetter wiring diagrams.

More XJs showing up on the list. Glad to see it. Back when I joined there were very few represented. The XJ combined the looks of the Special with the longer cruising range of the Standards, and added a few wrinkles to cosmetics, suspension, and brakes.

Look at the fromt page of the site and fine the "What to look for in a neglected XS" for a good guie on what you will need to check/repair/change/and update to get your XJ back on the road as a reliable ride.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                        Manuals...Neither Clymer or hayes published an XJ1100 manual, at leat in the US. The XS manuals can be used as a general guide, but better off getting an XJ manual due to differences noted in the thread listed above. Dealers used to be able to get the factory manual, but list member rockjoc scanned both the Owner's manual and Service manual to a CD. Contact him to see if he still has these available, price was reaonable and it has the correct manuals for your bike. Same CD now has other useful manuals on it, including Vetter wiring diagrams.
                        Ya I found the PDF free on from CatatonicBug, just as my local Yammy dealer got back to me and wanted $350 for it...lol

Comment

I have both the printed shop manual and rockjoc's cd..2 of them, in fact. Earlier one didn't have the 'extra" diagrams. The XJ is different enough from the XS that you do need the XJ specific manual. Glad you downloaded a copy.

Printed manual (LIT-11616-02-78) cost me $42.00 back when I bought it in 1999 or early 2000.

I heard that Yamaha recently raised prices on parts by 15 - 20 percent. It appears they are going out of their way to discourage keeping older bikes in circulation.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                            .....I heard that Yamaha recently raised prices on parts by 15 - 20 percent. It appears they are going out of their way to discourage keeping older bikes in circulation.

Oh yeah, that'll make 'em lots of friends...
                            I read a few years ago that Yamaha was the worst of the Japanese Four (Honda, Kaw, Suz, Yam) for support of their vintage bikes.

'78E original owner.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Nothinghead View Post
                              . . . parts are available at partsnmore.com, mikesxs.com(specifically for the 650, but parts some parts are good for both.) and bike bandit.com. used parts are on ebay all the time.
                              last but not least, this website is awesome . . .!

I recently ran across boats.net - when I can't find parts anywhere else, you can order from the microfiche from here. So far the pricing doesn't seem bad and the shipping is cheap.. and no minimum order!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...cle/parts.html

It's probably no different than going to your local Yamaha dealer to order parts that are still available, but all the Yamaha dealerships near me are expensive!
                              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X