Header Flanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Flanges

Moving on to the next problem while I re-test my carbs. I installed the exhaust assembly on cyl #4 only to find that I ran out of thread when tightening the nuts and the header was still loose, not even contacting the gasket. Here is what I found when I compared it to the # 2 & 3 header pipes.
    Left is the #4 assembly, Right is the #3 header.

I bought the entire exhaust on ebay a year ago. The seller must have matched up two different years to make one complete system???

Can I stack two gaskets on top of each other?

Can I remove the flange and install the original one? Are they silver soldered on?

Thanks for any pointers!
    '78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

Yes, you can stack gaskets. It's actually rather common. It looks like you have headers from a Standard AND a Special there. One is longer than the other, but I can't remember which is which.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The Standard is longer. You can also change the exhaust studs out for 5mm shorter ones. This will also allow the pipes to tighten properly.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This is probably another one of those weird little differences that crop up on these bikes...

I've got two 'standard' exhaust systems, and one is like yours; outboard flanges are shorter than the inboard flanges; I don't know what year this one is. But I've also got the original system for my '78, and all four flanges are the longer length, so somewhere along the way Yamaha shortened the outboard ones for some reason. So you probably have a 'matched set'. Interestingly enough, the Yamaha parts fiche shows the same number for '78-80 'standards' (the '81H used the 'special' exhaust), but I've got two 'types' so either the fiche is lying or the difference isn't supposed to matter.

Try putting some washers under the nuts on the outboard pipes, or you could swap to shorter studs.

'78E original owner
        Last edited by crazy steve; 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think switching the studs is the best solution... but I'm so close to finishing my restoration, I can just see studs snapping off and I have a new project to deal with! They seem to be a very soft stud. So I think I'll take a chance with stacked gaskets.

Now that I think about it more, the exhaust system I bought from an ebayer was an OEM replacement, it has the riveted emission label on each muffler. So the owner probably bought the outboard muffler assemblies and re-used the 2 & 3 header pipes and later I bought the system.

I'll make'r work somehow, thanks again!
          '78 XS1100E
          '83 XVZ12

Comment

(the '81H used the 'special' exhaust),
            AH HA!!!! THAT is why when i bought the Jardine system off eBay for Ghost, the instructions called for "this" size ring and it didnt fit right......but i made it work with the "special" rings
            '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
            Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
            4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
            Windjammer(wiring issues)
            SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
            New paint/brakes to come!!
            ===============
            '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
            ===============
            '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
            Stock Pilots/125 mains
            Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
            SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
            LED Brake Lite
            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Washer

Have you tried stacking flat washers between the allen nut and flange?
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Actually, my plan was to stack two gaskets under the flange but that wasn't enough for it to tighten up, so out came my dremel with a cut-off wheel and I cut off about 3/16" from each stud. We're good to go now!
                '78 XS1100E
                '83 XVZ12

Comment

Hey guys,

Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would add to this one. I just bought a stock exhaust system and ran into the same problem. The raised flange on the down tubes are different between numbers 2,3 and 1,4. Cylinder #2 exhaust nuts tighten down properly but #1 exhaust nuts bottom out without clamping down the flange. Have about 3/16" or so to go for the number 1 and 4 flanges to tighten! Im trying to figure out my options. I don't have a hacksaw or anything, looks like the easiest thing to do at this point is stack washers under the nut... This sucks!
                  Last edited by WMarshy; 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Washers

If you dont want to stack washers there are two other easy fixes. You can get auto hearer lock washers that will give you about a 1/4" of spacer and are still small enough diam. to fit in the flang hole, also they make a header nut that the threads run all the way through and have thin walls you drive with a small socket
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

link

Here are two links to show the kind of nuts and washers I am talking about just make sure you get the right size/thread for your bike. Can get at most hardware/auto parts stores

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/High-C...hers,1180.html

http://www.bgmfg.com/12_point_nuts.htm
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Thanks for the links, I will be getting some new header nuts this week. I needed to ride the bike to work today so I had to settle for some SS washers to be able to ride. Luckily there was enough thread to get the washer and the nut on.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                        X