xs1100 not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 not running

my xs1100 that i just put back togeather will fire but not stat running,we have fuel,spark and air??????and one out there that can help me out..email me at allen1978@live.com or on here...thanks alot

Did you foul the plugs?I had all three XS's do that last winter.I think I had bad gas or something.But even after I replaced the gas and cleaned all the plugs ,none of them would start, but would spit a cough and backfire.
    I finally replaced the plugs on one and it fired right up.So I then replaced the plugs in the other two and they ran also.It was strange, but I have learned the hard way that sometimes you can't just clean the plugs.
    I don't know if this could be your problem, but thought I would share my experience.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

all plugs firing at the right time? Just put the bike back together, can the plug wires be on the wrong plugs? JOT
      Dan
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

my xs1100 that i just put back together will fire but not stay running
        I don't know what you all did that you had to put it back together but, if the ballast resister isn't hooked up, the bike will fire when it's cranking but then die when you release the starter button. Is that what it's doing?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

XS1100 FrankenBIKE Build

Hey fellas. I have been a member since 05 but, up till now I have just looked at the gallery.
          Here goes... I have accumulated 1 running (sorta) xs1100 and two part bikes. I was able to do some slight mods off and on over the last two years. I am finally ready to dig in and try to get a complete running chop bagger. I have some issues with the bike that runs (sorta). it seems to fall on its face in the middle rpm range and it kinda has a sputter put idle. I have never seen a running driving xs1100 before so I dont know what good is. I removed the carbs and rebuilt them. It ran a little better but not much. I think my vacuum advance system is suspect. I hope to have time to verify its operation using my newly acquired clymer manual.
          I will try to take some pix soon to let you guys know how big this can of worms is. I hope to turn 3 bikes into two choppers.
          later
          P.S. I wish you luck fellow new guy.

Comment

Without some additional info we are pretty much stabbing in the dark at the bikes problem. What type of work was done to create the "my XS1100 that I just put back together" situation? Was it running properly before the work was completed. Give us some additional info so we can help you out.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

location might help. Sometimes if we are close enough members ride out to help.
              68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
              76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
              79 special (skull bike)
              79 special (parts bike w/title)
              79 special
              80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
              81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
              81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
              80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
              81 650 maxim
              81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
              88 Zx 600r (Sold)
              01 Gz 250

Comment

yes the bike was running just fine before,i was going to redo the bike from tire to tire but money ran short..i did nothing but take the bike apart and store it..then after assembly i have this problem..when you push the button it will crank over then fire up for just a second then die..the resistor is grounded good buth it looks cracked..i did a resistance test and it checked ok..it did sit for 3 years..new gas..cleaned carbs..and also what is a dimmer timer,4 wires and mounts towards the from of the bike..im in massillon,ohio...if you have any idea where to even start at please let me know..this bike was my dads(only the second owner)and after he died in 1994 i kept the bike and rode..now im getting depressed and ready to put it back in storage..i need help or a stick of dianamite....lol

Comment

and the firing order if from left to right 1234 ....

Comment

thats a dimmer relay..sorry

Comment

Originally posted by allen1978 View Post
                      and the firing order if from left to right 1234 ....
                      It's supposed to be 1-3-4-2. Remember that the left coil runs 1&4 and the right coil runs 2&3.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

[QUOTE=OHHHDEN;290232] - - - some issues with the bike that runs (sorta). it seems to fall on its face in the middle rpm range and it kinda has a sputter put idle. I have never seen a running driving xs1100 before so I don't know what good is. - - -

Hi 'Den,
                        if you can't scare yourself riding it, it ain't running right.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by allen1978 View Post
                          my xs1100 that i just put back together will fire but not stay running,we have fuel,spark and air??????
                          Hi Allen,
                          does it actually run for (say) 5 seconds or more after you take your thumb off the starter button?
                          Clean the carbs (Yes, again!)
                          Does it only run while the starter is cranking?
                          Check the ballast resistor.
                          Does it just fire pistol shots out of the exhaust as it's cranking?
                          Check that the rightside coil fires the outer cylinders and the leftside coil fires the inner cylinders.
                          Last edited by fredintoon; 07-30-2010, 01:14 AM.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

ok guys i got it running last night..great feeling,the resistor was not grounded good enough i guess..thanks everyone for your help..the xs1100 is alive lol

Comment

my resistor fell off the frame (screw worked its way out)...and the bike died. actually, it blew a fuse. took me a day and a half to figure out what happened.....

change fuse, start bike.....idle and warm up.... as soon as i would lean the bike up......presto.....blow fuse and bike would stop. all lights would work, but no runny.

i H A T E electrical problems....
                              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                              Windjammer(wiring issues)
                              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                              New paint/brakes to come!!
                              ===============
                              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                              ===============
                              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                              Stock Pilots/125 mains
                              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                              LED Brake Lite
                              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
                              X