Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signals quit

Hi All,

The turn signals worked ok, then worked intermittently, then quit completely . Now, all the signals will do is come on and stay on, no blinking at all. All lights will come on and stay on, so the bulbs should be good. This was preceded by the left rear turn signal failing to come on, but now that bulb does light ok.

Ive searched and found nothing in particular for this problem. This bike still has the original fuse box, I have a new one by TC, but havnt got it on yet. Otherwise , the electrics are all stone stock.

If youz can give me a few places to start looking at I would be appreciative. This bike still has the self cancelling feature, well at least it did have it , ha.

Channel 11, give me some ideas please.
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
    Hi All, The turn signals worked ok, then worked intermittently, then quit completely . Now, all the signals will do is come on and stay on, no blinking at all. All lights will come on and stay on, so the bulbs should be good. This was preceded by the left rear turn signal failing to come on, but now that bulb does light ok.
    Hi Tom,
    if both sides are acting up, the prime suspect is the flasher unit itself. After you have cleaned every last power and ground connection to no avail, invest $10 in a 2-prong electronic car flasher (it'll plug into the 3-way flasher connector in 2 ways, one works, t'other don't).
    If the flashing comes back, she's fixed except the self-canceller won't work.
    If it still don't flash you are in for extensive wire-checking but you will have a low-cost flasher on hand.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 07-23-2010, 10:21 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I agree check the flasher first. Unfortunately I believe to get the correct flasher to work with the self cancelers I think its something like $80 from Yamaha, or you can always try ebay if it is the problem but get the cheap one first!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If it was me, I would start by opening up the turn signal switch housing, and cleaning and resoldering the connecitons in there. You say it started to act up, then died compeltely, so it could be that a loose connection just finally broke. IIRC, you can use the 4-way flasher unit as a quick test to see if the flasher really is the problem. Do the 4-ways work, BTW?
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

no four ways

Hi,

I remember reading about the diagnosis of whether the four ways worked now, thanks Cbug for reminding me about that as a diagnostic.

I any case, I dont recall the four ways ever working since I bought it, and they sure dont now. However, the turn signals actually turn the bulbs on, the four ways dont turn the bulbs on at all, and since this bike has an assembled title, I am gonna assume that something went awry with the four ways before I got the bike last fall.

Thanks for the quick responses, will proceed with looking at the flasher first then do the switch apart , cleaning and resolder if that doesnt prove to be the problem. I sure hate to lose that self cancel though, but eighty bux for a new yammie part is crazy.
          Bikes Now.
          80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
          79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
          83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
          83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
          08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Tom, check the battery and charging voltage.

The signals will stop working when the voltage drops but the bike will still seem like it's running fine until the voltage drops low enough that the TCI start to misfire.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
            X