Clutch Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Cable

Broke my cable, at the clutch lever. was hard to pull before! got new cable in, and the casing is about 1/4 inch to long of being able to hook back up to lever. do i just cut some of the cable casing off? whats the best way to cut without damaging cable. Also, what do you guys use to lube to cable, i didnt even think about doing that before it broke. i guess i assumed that they were supposed to be dry!

Why do you think the case is too long? If you got the right cable, it should be exactly the right length. It may take some muscle to attach it on the clutch end. You can use a screwdriver to pry the throwout lever upwards, toward the cable, allowing you to slide it into the groove.

As for lube, you can use the standard cable lube stuff from any MC shop. Just don't use WD-40. It will dry out and make it sticky. Be sure your speedo cable is lubed too.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

clutch cable lube etc

Hi,

Personally, I think you would be best served to buy a complete new cable and casing from yammie or ebay or online.

Ive never done this with an MC, but Ive cut a hundred bicycle cables, and will go thru the procedure that you can follow if you want.

Take the casing and cut the quarter inch off that you need to. Use a proper cable cutter since side cutters will leave a mess to clean up. There are cable cutters that are low quality also, but if you have a local pro bicycle shop, the Park brand home mechanic cable cutters are under twenty bux and work well. Or you could just have the bike mechanic cut the casing for you for maybe a few bux.

Do keep the end piece, the chrome tip that is on the end of the cable now, trim back the rubber/plastic cable cover about another quarter inch, and put that end cover back on your trimmed casing. Its also best to file or grind the actual end of the metal wound wire till its absolutely flat and perfectly at a right angle to the run of the cable itself. This will help to make your first adjustment of the new cable, your only one, since cable casings never seem to want to cut totally flat even with the specialized tool, and will compress thru use requiring another adjustment after its seated.

I doubt that the original cable casing has a teflon liner like the bicycle cables do, and IF not, you can get a lubing tool at your harbor freight store that does a nice job for about six bux. If it does have a teflon inner liner, its not generally recommended to lube since the teflon is slippery itself. Just be sure to use a tiny nail, or sewing needle type item to perfect the cut end of the teflon liner if your cable has it.

You also can refer to the service manual, for a home built way to lube your cable casing, OR, you can simply grease with lithium grease the inner cable before you put it in.

I am sure you will be sure to be certain that the cable housing is put back exactly where it was intended to be originally since there are listers who have had cable binding problems with turning , fairing placement, etc from misplaced cable housings.

I know that when I lubed my throttle cable with that harbor freight tool and chain spray lube, it made a major difference, like night and day with the throttle cable pull effort.

I hope this helps and please let us know how it turns out, eh?
      Last edited by yamtom; 07-23-2010, 09:49 AM.
      Bikes Now.
      80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
      79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
      83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
      83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
      08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

A new cable hasn't 'stretched' yet, making you think it's short, but will 'grow' to the right length with use. Loosen the adjustment at the clutch a bit to help get some extra play. I'll also remove the clutch lever pivot bolt, and with the lever out of it's position, connect the cable to it then use the lever as a handle to pull the cable into place, 'rolling' the lever back into position. Readjust eveything after you get the cable installed. As the cable stretches in use, keep adjusting the free play at the lever.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

do what they said !

Cbug and Csteve have provided a better solution than I have, do what they said . Although mine will work, they are speaking from actual mc experience on this model. Unbelievably fast replies guys, Channel 11 is fantastic. Great replies guys.
          Bikes Now.
          80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
          79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
          83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
          83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
          08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Thank guys. I did buy a new cable complete, from a bike shop. so im pretty sure its the right cable...! I was able to get it on with lifting the lever. I must not have realized the old cable stretched that much...THNX

Comment

Working...
            X