Can't find it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find it...

I know that somewhere here there is a chart to recomend jetting for various modifications like exhaust and pods... I can't find it and the search doesn't seem to find it either.. Does someone know where it is and can point me..

Bike is running good, but after riding that XJ I decided that mine wasn't running as good as it could. Today I did the fast run under load and chopped the ignition and looked at the plugs. White, no color at all. I tried changing the mains from 137.5 to a set of 110's I had and now it's a little better color, but much stumbling on hard exceleration. The 110's were only a few thousands of an inch larger than the 137.5's and I probably need to go at least one more step bigger. I was also wondering about the air jets.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Originally posted by planedick View Post
    The 110's were only a few thousands of an inch larger than the 137.5's

How do you figure 110s to be bigger than 137.5s

Bigger # bigger jet.

Comment

Jetting Recommendations
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You are going the wrong direction , #140 is the next bigger size . #110's are used in the later 80/81 carbs.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Bigger

I measured the hole in the jets with wire guages. They were a set I took out of another set of old carbs. Maybe they had been drilled out. They were only .003" bigger than the 137.5's
          Last edited by planedick; 07-23-2010, 08:17 AM.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Thanks

Thank you dbeardslee for the link. One of the other problems I have is when I synch the carbs I'm able to get them right on at idle, but cracking the throttle just a little makes them go WWAAAAAY off so when it's running at throttle nothing is balanced at all.

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

I think they all pretty much do that. You can only really sync them at idle. You could always try a poor mans YICS - after you sync, tie the vacuum taps together with 'T' connectors and vacuum line. Some members say it makes them run smoother, and some say it makes them run like crap. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinkin' about it.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I did

I tried that, but the lines are too small to make it work and it did run worse. I figure that if the ports were around 3/8" Dia like the YICS head it would probably work better.

Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system

Comment

A word to the wise about those jetting reccommendations...that formula will get you in the ballpark...but it has been my experience that this is not exact. In using this formula for what I thought I needed for jetting only to find that the bike was still too lean...so if you find after all this that your bike craps out at WOT then you're prolly still too lean. FWIW YICS sucks..I have the YICS eliminator tool permanently installed blocking off all the YICS ports and the bike runs sooo much better.
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                  X