no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark

ok the brother in law finaly got his newer bike and we went to go for a ride the xs (78 1100)was sitting for about a month

she started up just fine and was running when i went to push her out of the garage when she died

we pulled the air filter as he was having some carb issues before(the shop replaced a bad float)

and tried some starting fluid and no dice she wouldnt fire thinking maybe we flooded it we let it sit for a while and still no dice

we pulled number 1 and number 4 plug to see if they were wet from being flooded and they looked ok and when we went to check for spark there was no spark on either plug

i didnt have my computer with me or a multi meter with at teh time but we pulled the seat and tank to check for any loose or broken wires and nothing stuck out and the fuses were good and it turns over with the ele start

i will be heading over saturday with a multi meter and the computer (i have the service manual on the drive and i dont feel like printing almost 200 pages)

being it was a sudden onset of no spark i was thinking maybe the lean/tip over sensor failed if thats the case do you jst run a jumper across teh termianls to bypass it
    and is there anything else to check

You can just unplug the tipover sensor to bypass it, but I doubt that's the issue... You might check the kill switch on right handlebar. Open it up and look for corrosion or loose connections. IIRC, the starter will still spin with the kill switch flipped, but you won't get spark.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

At least on mine, if the kill switch is in off position rather than run, the starter will not turn over either.

And having no multimeter on hand, I would never say a fuse was good for sure unless I checked it either with the meter making sure resistance was 0 or that I had voltage on BOTH sides of the fuse with the key on. With the OEM fuse box the fuses can even BE GOOD and not work because of the junk connectors. And this is not only a Yamaha problem, I've seen the same thing on other bikes from the same era.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You only check 1 and 4 for spark? check 2 and 3. since each set is set up on a different coil, then you would know a little more.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think you should just trailer the thing and give it to me with the title in hand.
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

well i got a little time to tinker with it yesterday

pushed it out of the garage hit the starter button and there was spark

shut it off put the tank back on she ran for a bit then died no spark

i noticed a bare wire where a po hand done a buggerjob replacing one of the fuse block sections
            there was a bit of resistance across the area where he cut out and sodered in the new fuse holder

so i can to fleet farm and got 4 new fuse holders ato style

cut out the fuse block and buggery fuse holder and put in the 4 new fuses she fires and runs i rever her up and she dies

by this time it was hot as hadies outside so i was done working next time im over by the brother in laws ill have to look at the pick up wires being it looses spark when it advances im thinking that might be the issue

Comment

Working...
            X