Front End Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End Compatibility

I've just started the major rebuilding phase of my 80 special. One of my rotors is warped and both my calipers need to be replaced or rebuilt. I'm having a rough time trying to find a good price on rotors and calipers. What other models of bikes would I be able to get parts from?

The other part of the question is, how tough of a job am I looking at replacing the whole front end with a new one from possibly a yzf or even a different manufacture? Also while I'm on the subject of compatibility, are the standard and special seats the same as far as the way they bolt to the bike?

Any help, ideas, or links are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks TJ

rebuild the calipers. there isnt much that can go wrong with them other than dirt and brake fluid gumming them up. Any of the brake rotors from any year with fit from what i understand. Unfortunatly you cannot have them turned like other rotors because of what they are made of (unless you have major money). Or again if you have the cash to burn you can buy new ones http://shop.hyperformanceparts.com/p...zisidaa6zz~r=~

But I would go to ebay and buy some used ones!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

whole bunch of rotors on ebay right now http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

As nate said, rotors aren't that hard to find, as the XS11s all used the same parts; the exception is the slotted rotors used on some models which are a bit hard to find, but you can use non-slotted in their place if need be. You can also find rotors off later XS650s, as well as some XJ models.

The calipers... nobody has found anything that will swap onto the specials that I'm aware of. Rebuild kits are available (partsnmore.com for one), but if you need caliper pistons, those are hard to get.

Fork swaps. Well, the easiest swap would be to a 'standard' '78-81 fork setup, but you have to swap the complete forks (trees, forks, fender, brakes) as mixing parts can lead to handling problems and many parts won't interchange in any case. Rebuild parts for the standard brakes are easily available. You'll still have some 'adapting' to do if you keep your round headlight/gauges. 'Other' fork swaps are certainly possible, but will require fab skills, as I have yet to see one that's a simple bolt-on. Several of us have done or are in the midst of this one:
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=FJ1100
        You might also check here: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php as there's been a lot of swapping going on there, but be aware that some of the stuff they use wasn't available in the US.

HTH

'78E original owner
        Last edited by crazy steve; 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...