Carb jet needle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb jet needle question

I'm finishing up my full restoration of a '78 standard. While rebuilding the carbs, I noticed the jet needle clip was set from center: one groove towards rich. The jets are 137.5, the float heights are all right in the middle of the specified range at 1.010", +/- .005".

I have no experience with how this bike ran other than driving it 3 miles to my house (5 years ago) where upon I immediately proceeded to tear it apart. I did notice what seemed to be quite a bit of carbon on the valves, piston tops, exhaust manifold etc. Valve seats were pitted too.

I've rebuilt the motor to standard specs, no modifications of any kind, light hone of the cylinders, new rings and a complete valve job: all new guides, ground seats and valves etc.

Should I put the clip on the jet needle back to the center "standard" position?

Or is this no big deal and just see how it runs the way they are?

Thanks!
    '78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

If I was doing it I would set everything back to stock positions and start from there. As it is a resto I imagine you have stock pipes and airbox, so that is what I would start with. The bike will let you know how to move from there if necessary as in black sparkplugs, cold pipes, missing, stumbling, popping on decel Etc.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I agree with Rasputin, start from the center stock position and work from there.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Might want to check and make sure they're the stock needles. Stock are 5GZ6-3's. They should say 5GZ6 on the needle just under the clip notches.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the input! Needles are stock, so I'll be setting the needles back to the stock setting and go from there.

Taking a week off of work to make some serious progress. I'll be turning the key within a few weeks!
          '78 XS1100E
          '83 XVZ12

Comment

Working...
          X