2 questions. 81 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions. 81 special

There is a vacuum ?? line that is clamped to the top center mounting bolt/clamp for the breather box. Where does it connect?

If the octo valve doesn't seal to shut off the flow of fuel is there any other problem other than having to manually turn off the petcock? There isn't a vacuum associated with normal fuel flow when in the on position is there? Just gravity feed? Thanks!

Tom

Hard to tell on the vacuum hose, since nothing is "supposed" to be clamped there. There should be a drain line from the battery, and a vent hose from the Middle drive. However, both should hang down behind the engine, pointed at the road.

As for the octy, it stops the fuel flow when the engine is not running. However, so should the float valves in the carbs. If your octy is not sealing, you can rebuild it (I have the octy portion of a rebuild kit if you're interested). Otherwise, you can turn off the petcocks if you like, and hope they are sealing. Once you turn them back on, and the engine is turning, the octy should then allow fuel to flow freely (assuming that the vacuum line is connected to it).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Tbell View Post
      There is a vacuum ?? line that is clamped to the top center mounting bolt/clamp for the breather box. Where does it connect?
      Sounds like your describing the large line that is the crankcase breather vent. It is about 5/8-3/4" round and connects form that center nipple on the air box to the breather vent at the back right side of the crankcase.

Originally posted by Tbell View Post
      If the octo valve doesn't seal to shut off the flow of fuel is there any other problem other than having to manually turn off the petcock? There isn't a vacuum associated with normal fuel flow when in the on position is there? Just gravity feed? Thanks!
      Well, the Octy is a normally closed valve, the spring in there shuts it off. So with no vacuum, or a cracked or leaky vacuum hose or diaphram, the valve will close. Provided the o-ring is still capable of sealing, nothing will go by to the carbs. This how alot of bikes end up being set to Prime to run all the time. So, unless the o-ring leaks badly, it may not give enough fuel to the carbs.

Typically when in the ON position with the Octy installed, the small niple on the side of the octy gets a vacuum line connected to the synch vacuum nipple on the no 2 carb boot close to the head. This pulls the diaphram back on the octy pulling the o-ring form its seal and then gravity will feed the carbs. If you do not remove the Octy, you may want to run in the Prime position and then turn the petcocks to off when not in use.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Mine hangs down... hasn't pointed up in years

...and a vent hose from the Middle drive. However, both should hang down behind the engine, pointed at the road.
        My vent hose from the middle drive also was hangin' down... but someone wiser years ago said that there's a clip for it somewhere on the air box so that it vents upward.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578 View Post
          My vent hose from the middle drive also was hangin' down... but someone wiser years ago said that there's a clip for it somewhere on the air box so that it vents upward.

That has to be the middle drive vent hose. I sure didn't remember disconnecting it. There is a bracket that it is connected to and the same bracket also acts as a clamp for the wiring harness.

As for the octo, I was confused about the meaning of pri and on. Got them reversed. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Tom

Comment

prom is right about the hose being the middle drive vent hose. There should be a little nipple right next to the crank case vent and that is where it hooks up.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Prim

If you had the gas leak when in "prim", not in "on" your octy my be fine as prim bypasses the octy valve. It would be nice if the float needles never leaked, but they can and that is why yamaha spent the cash for the octy
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

And you do want it UP! One of my '79s had it pointed down, and it sucked water from riding in the rain. Later when I did a "high speed run", the water boiled and pushed all the oil out! Found it because of the tan mud all over the back of the bike.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gas leak

Also, if you had a gas leak through the carb's, check your oil for gas that could have leaked past pistons to crankcase, if so, change it before you run it!
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                    Also, if you had a gas leak through the carb's, check your oil for gas that could have leaked past pistons to crankcase, if so, change it before you run it!
                    I am only in testing mode for the octo valve. There was never a time when the fuel was hooked up to the carbs so no problems there. At present I am manually switching to the off position. It is something I'm in the habit of doing with my 76 Wing anyway. Waiting on brake parts now. Can't ride until I get them rebuilt. Everything else is ready to go. Getting antsy. Thanks guys!

Tom

Comment

octy

That good about no carb overflow. You can test the octy by turning petcocks to "on"check for flow to carb lines, if none, add vac. to octy vac. line (the small one, you can just suck on it acording to clymer man.) if it flows and stops when you remove vac. it is working.
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                      X