Shifter or Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter or Clutch?

So i got my bike running without leaks. Now its acting real weird and when i release the clutch i have to give a whole lot of throttle to keep it alive. and when i shift it takes it real hard and i have to give it even more throttle. if i pull the clutch when coming to a stop or pull it for any reason without any throttle it kills. what have i done now?
    78 xs11

Did you properly adjust the clutch? Both ends of the cable have an adjustment. Start with the lower end first, then the handlebar end. It sounds to me like the clutch is not disengaging fully when you pull in the lever.

Does the bike try to lurch forward after the lever is pulled in?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Shifter or Clutch?
      Neither.
      Sounds like it's only running on three cylinders.
      Do a quick test for me.(ok, for you, too)
      Let the bike idle for a few minutes to warm up... and then spray some water on the header pipes. (I just use a spray bottle of 409 cleaner)
      The pipe that doesn't sizzle is the dead cylinder.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

All pipes are sizzling, but i didnt even adjust the clutch. and it doesnt try to lurch forward it just straight up dies when i pull the clutch in or let off the throttle. at this point will i need to adjust the clutch?
        78 xs11

Comment

So, you are saying that if you let off the throttle, and leave the clutch out (idling, with you not sitting on it), it dies?

Do you need to turn the idle RPM up? Is there any point at which it will idle properly without you touching it? It should idle at about 1100rpm. Have you sync'd the carbs too?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Neither. I never messed with the idle or and i only cleaned my carbs. Maybe a bike mechanic would be a good idea? Im just not sure what the problem is now, before it took a while for it to idle. Now even if its been running for a bit it wont idle..
            78 xs11

Comment

Originally posted by turbo loco View Post
              Maybe a bike mechanic would be a good idea?
              Not usually. Most bike mechanics won't know the first thing about these 30-y/o bikes, and will likely cause more problems than they'll fix. You do need to sync the carbs after cleaning though. Any time you do ANYTHING to the carbs, they need to be sync'd. Get yourself a good sync tool, or make one yourself. There are a few threads about a DIY tool that costs about $10.

Turn the idle screw so it turns up the idle speed. See if that helps. Either way, it sounds like a good sync is in order.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

hi turb

please post where you live maybe a member in the area might give you a hand,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

carb related

Clutch is incidental to the problem of the engine not running well.

What do the spark plugs look like?

I've read through your other posts... how did you get the carbs to stop leaking fuel into the air box?
                  I think there has been some confusion of issues here.
                  But first, I want you to check your oil level. Oil level is checked with the bike on the center stand, NOT the side stand. (don't laugh... it's been done before. I've seen bikes with as much as two gallons of oil in them. (Or several quarts of fuel mixed with the oil) And yeah, oil will blow out through the crankcase breather tube and into the air box if there's too much)

Here's what I think you've got goin' on here:

The float needles in your carbs are leaking. (they were leaking before, and they're still leaking now. I don't agree with the "tap the float bowl" technique. If they leak... they need to be replaced)

How can ya tell if'in they're leaking? Put the petcock on PRI (prime) This by-passes the vacuum mechanism and allows the fuel to free-flow to the carbs. If the float needles don't stop the flow, fuel will start coming out of strange areas, like the air box and the vents.

Fuel will also flow forward into the engine... down past the rings and into the oil. (that's why I want you to check the oil level. I also don't agree with the "light a stick covered with oil" method to see if there's fuel in the oil, as no one knows just what percentage of fuel is need to make the oil burn)

Check your spark plugs, I'm sure you'll find some black or wet and fouled. (due to the carbs flooding)

You wrote that you cleaned the carbs. Part of cleaning the carbs is turning them up side down, hooking up a fuel source and (with the float bowls off) watching to see if fuel is leaking past the float needles. People often forget that step and have problems later.

Check these few things mentioned above and write back.
                  (Oil level, spark plugs, carbs still leaking)

Comment

Uhmm...

Most bike mechanics won't know the first thing about these 30-y/o bikes
                    Please Bug... Unless it's a fuel injected model, all manufacturers are still making bikes/quads/jet-skis with carbs and everything else. Engine theory and operation has stayed the same over the years. Other than the vacuum advance system... our bikes are no different than any others, old or new.

Uhmm.. I believe what you meant to say is... These are ordinary problems and anyone with limited experience and a few common tools can fix them if they want to take the time and do it themselves instead of having a mechanic do the work for them.

Comment

Prom, I think Bug was trying to say most YOUNG mechanics don't know much about some of the older bikes. I know there are a LOT of good mechs out there, but there are some of dubious qualifications trying to work on bikes!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        Prom, I think Bug was trying to say most YOUNG mechanics don't know much about some of the older bikes. I know there are a LOT of good mechs out there, but there are some of dubious qualifications trying to work on bikes!
                        i have to agree totally ! my bike was in two different shops for the same problem ,,it cost me 900.00 to find out they knew nothing about the xs11,,lucky for me i bumped into the tinman as he was kind enough to help me out ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                        The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                        moemcnally@hotmail.com
                        i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Now i really dont know what to think. the bike runs. it runs well when its in 4th and 5th. but when i let off the throttle say to slow down or just to let it off its almost like it downshifts, not that it does, but something like an engine break makes that loud engine break noise Rrrrrmmmmm (like that ha) then slows down. when i pull in the clutch RPMs zero out and itll die if i dont give it throttle. Second when i shift it almost pops even when i let the clutch out nice and easy. More than anyone im skeptical about mechanics but this is an investment to me not some phase im going through i want this thing to work so i dont mind professional help. locations up if anyone is close by i wouldnt mind takin a drive to visit.
                          78 xs11

Comment

After cleaning, did you sync the carbs?
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

no i did not sync the carbs. im sick of taking those damn things out. i still havent found the best way to take them out without scrunching up the boots.
                              78 xs11

Comment

Working...
                              X