new owner ?s regarding XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner ?s regarding XS1100

Hello all. I am relatively new to motorcycling so I'm hoping I won't get flamed for asking what may seem to old hands to be basic questions.

I just bought an XS1100 Eleven Special; love the bike; anyway, the title for it says it's a 1979, the guy I bought it from says it's a 1978. All the photos of 79s I've seen they all have squared speedo, tach, headlights and turn signals.

All that stuff on mine is ROUND.

Any assistance in determining the correct model year will be greatly appreciated.

More questions later.

Doc Hunter

The round tach and speedo came on the 79-81 Specials. Standard models were produced from 78-81 with square gauges. You either have a 79 Special or the PO turned his 78 standard into a special by swapping out some stuff with a 79 special. Post some pics. The gurus around here will definitely be able to identify your ride. And welcome to CH 11.
    79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
    79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
    79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

im new also. the guys on here know there stuff. stick to what they say and you'll keep that thing alive. as far as what your exactly your bike is check out the engine and see its number. what is the VIN number? check it with the numbers on CatatonicBug's personal site. Click the link that says which xs is mine or something along those lines. As far as your round stuff, maybe its added on? Just a thought.
      78 xs11

Comment

Congrats on your new bike. All of us were once new on this site, so don't worry and ask away. There is a number on the top of your engine that will give you an idea of what you have. Be awre there are a lot of Frankenbikes out there. Due to a lack of parts all sorts of things get grafted onto these scooters. There is a lot of info in the maintance, repair and modification forums. The guys and gals will ask you questions and offer ideas and help. My bike would be a boat anchor if it wasn't for the help I have received here. Is your bike running now or the recent past? If it has been sitting a while you need to clean things. If the previous owner (PO) has been riding it and keeping up maintance on the bike you are ahead of the curve. If you need a manual CatatonicBug has downloads or get a Clymer manual. Good luck and welcome.
        1979XS1100SF
        K&N's and drilled airbox
        Jardine 4in1
        Dunlop Elite 3's
        JBM slide diaphragms
        142.5 main jets
        45 pilot jets
        T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
        750/850 FD mod.
        XV 920 Needle Mod.
        Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
        Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Here's some info.... http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html

You'll find the serial number on both the fork neck and a pad above the clutch cover on the motor. If they agree, congratulations! If they don't, well, you won't have the first one like that It's important to know this, as some parts are year and/or motor specific. For a bit more detail on that, you can check here: http://www.xs11.com/faqs/17-differen...odels-faq.html

Welcome!

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Welcome, If it is a Special, and it sounds like it is the ser # will tell what is OEM and what might be a mod. The odv. diff are the round gages, like you have, the fork mount for front wheel being in front of strut instead of at bottom, the rear wheel being the smaller die. Tear drop tank, ape hanger handle bars and stepped seat, just to name a few! the #'s will tell you what she started out as, the trim will tell you what she is now,
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by rhunter8404 View Post
              Hello all. I am relatively new to motorcycling so I'm hoping I won't get flamed for asking what may seem to old hands to be basic questions.

I just bought an XS1100 Eleven Special; love the bike; anyway, the title for it says it's a 1979, the guy I bought it from says it's a 1978. All the photos of 79s I've seen they all have squared speedo, tach, headlights and turn signals.

Any assistance in determining the correct model year will be greatly appreciated.

More questions later.

Doc Hunter
              Post a pic, we all love pics. We'll tell ya what you have.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

Yep agreed, pics are the easiest and the most fun, for deciphering the machine. The VIN on the steering neck is the true VIN, the one on the engine goes with that engine, whihc may well have been swapped at soem time after 30 years.

Everything you stated says it is a 79 Special model. MY Banshee bike was listed as a 79 XS1100 by the PO. I took one look and knew it was an 81 Special by VIN, and by the components on it. POs often make mistakes on these machines.

And again, welcome to the madness, and the sickness of XS11 ownership!! Now since your also new to bikes, please take the MSF basic rider course. IT is an EXCELLENT course and teaches alot of great skills.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by rhunter8404 View Post

More questions later.

Doc Hunter
                  Same thing happened to me.
                  I bought my parts bike as a 78, Turns out it's a 79 Special.

Comment

And it's truly a sickness, even those who have destroyed the machine and nearly themselves (in a "not their fault" accident) appear to have a hard time giving up these machines.

I'm generally a cautious rider, but even a cautious rider who is doing everything right can end up in a situation that puts them in the hospital or worse. Continuing to ride these things with the possible consequences, is surely a sign of sickness, but I'm not going to the Dr for it, cause I don't want to get better. I guess I was lucky, mine is actually what it was advertised (other than the rod knock that I'm sure the PO had done something to hide as it started up with the first oil change).
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Here is a pic of my 79 Special. It is OEM for the make and year right down to the seat and mirrors (The PO changed the pipes, I changed them back to stock, He also changer the grips, I have new OEM grips not on bike yet) Yours may have some changed parts, but this is how she started life if a 79 special.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...100Special.jpg
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Good looking bike! The only thing I could suggest is a TKat fork brace. It will take a LOT of the "wallow" out of sweeping corners.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Tkat

Thanks, I had a Tkat on but I removed, I know sounds crazy but not OEM look. In 79 I spent more time going over the curves of the spscial bro. then I did the curves in my playboys. I couldn't afford the XS1100 back then so I bought a XS750 special, grear bike but not the 1100 30 years lated I found this one with king queen seat, mac pipes and after market grips. She is almost done, I have all new OEM grips, rubber covers for new oem clutch and break levers, I even have replacement decals for "stop,horn,turn ect.. I will be replacing the gold edge tank trim with and OEM black I bought (LOL).
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                          X