Thanks guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks guys

Thanks, you guys have been great, many great tips from most of you (a few try to cause road rash, LOL) but most are just trying to help out fellow XS owners. I had no idea these bikes were so touchey, a qtr turn here, a slightly bent bolt there, 2mm on float hight. It just makes it more fun when we get it right! I know there are faster bikes but i have to hold on to mine when I twist the gas, and looks are just opinion, but I still get the thumbs-up and admireing looks form many. I will just keep "tweeking" with all of your help, thanks
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

That is all you can do.I get some nods from Harley riders now and then and have spoken to some saying that they started on them before switching over.Good bikes-Cycle World called these and others UJM- universal Japanese motorcycles-just add gas and go-maybe just a little more than that sometimes.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

If it was EASY, everyone would do it. I think you have to love these bikes to go through what we do to get them the way we want them!
      1979XS1100SF
      K&N's and drilled airbox
      Jardine 4in1
      Dunlop Elite 3's
      JBM slide diaphragms
      142.5 main jets
      45 pilot jets
      T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
      750/850 FD mod.
      XV 920 Needle Mod.
      Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
      Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Ain't nothing in this world like the SEG one gets from figuring these things out and getting them running like a raped ape!!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I rather like tinkering a little bit on mine, and I'm very happy that I've had to do little to it, unlike my 400 which took a lot of work after sitting for 13 years in the garden shed. Before I pass it down, I've still got to tear it all the way down and replace all the seals and gaskets (ok, seals, cause the gaskets are all going to be yamabond or the equivalent).

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, every issue I have run into (even the ones that look insurmountable at first) turned out to be fairly quick and easy to fix, and back out riding. I rather enjoyed stopping to offer assistance to a harley rider this morning. Couldn't help him as it was a computer problem, but it was a friendly encounter (which as it turns out have been the very large majority of my encounters) and the harley was sitting on the side of the road while I continued on my way to work.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X