Building the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the bike

Some of you may recall I picked up a parts bike a while back. It's (mostly) a '79 special. There is a liberal sprinkling of MNS parts. My brother-in-law, who've I've been friends with since long before I met and married his sister, finally talked his wife into letting him get a bike. Only caveat is, it had to be very inexpensive. Well, I'm putting this bike together for him, and charging him what I paid.

The bike was tore down to just the engine in the frame. I have what appears to be the vast majority of the parts. I have a thread where I'll post missing stuff http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...907#post288907

I've never fully assembled a bike before, so there's a lot of manual reading going on.

Anyone have some general advice? Like "Don't do this before you do this" etc?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Having taken a couple down to the frame now, and put one back together, I'll offer a few sage pieces of advice....

First, your on the right path, read the manual on the Disassembly of the parts first, then on how to assemble the part your dealing with. It will save you ALOT of going backwards sometimes, even if it means holding off till you get a part you did not know you needed or have.

Secondly, take your time, and put all the parts you need for the assembly your on in a separate pile/spot. That way, you will know quickly if you missed something, perhaps before your putting your tools away and then find the spring that holds the drive shaft in place in the final drive shaft connector.

Lastly, do not try to use an alternate fastener on something because you lost or do not have the right one. For example, trying to put a 1.5 pitch thread on a 1.25 pitch stud that happens to be welded to the frame of the bike. That right there can ruin your week!!

Like every other elephant in the world, eat it one bite at a time, focus on that bite and not how much else you still have to accomplish. And it will be a running machine before you know it. Learn to celebrate the little accomplishments in life, there are never enough big ones anyway.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Don't try to start the engine until you put oil in it! Thats my advice!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Having done a basketcase or two myself, I'll add a few things to what Don said.

Trial fit everything; the manual isn't always crystal-clear on how things go together, so a quick trial fit can save time later by making you more familar with the parts, as well as clearing up any possible missing/damaged parts.

Don't assume everything or anything is good; check it. This can save tons of time after the bike is together, particularly the electrical items.

Like he said, one step at a time...

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...