Why do XS11s have ballast resistors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do XS11s have ballast resistors?

This question is more out of curiosity than anything else and I've wondered about this for some time. I can rewire my bike, but I still consider electricity to be nothing short of magic....

Stock coils on my '79 Standard are 1.5 ohms and there are 1.5 ohm inline ballast resistors. I know adding the resistors cuts down on the amount of draw on the electrical system, but doesn't it also cool off the hot spark generated by the really hot 1.5-ohm coils? And, if this is the case, why didn't Yamaha go with 3.0-ohm coils to begin with, like it did with the later models. I haven't known Japanese bike makers to unnecessarily add to production costs, so I figure there had to be a reason they chose to use these coils with resistors when they could have gone with cheaper (?) coils and no resistors saving a few bucks on each bike.

Any electrical gurus who can help me understand the benefit?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

And what would happen if I tried to run without the ballast resistors? Just problems charging, or would there be other bad side effects?
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

That was really kind of a holdover from point ignitions. When this bike came out, electronic ignitions were the 'latest thing' and their thinking was still tangled up with the older ignitions. The reason for the ballast resistor was to have a hot spark for starting, but if you had points, the higher current reduced point life significantly so switching to running the coils through the resistor helped. In this case, the TCI box couldn't take the higher 'starting' current for more than a few minutes. A lot of the early electronic ignitions worked this way. But they found that degradation of the spark was nearly non-existant over time (unlike points which wore) so this 'boost' during starting wasn't needed. Ballast resistors joined their cousins points in the obsolete parts bin...

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
        And what would happen if I tried to run without the ballast resistors? Just problems charging, or would there be other bad side effects?
        I would like to know the answer to this question myself, someone here on an earler post stated you could just unplug the ballast risstor and plug the wires together, not brave enought to try this yet without more information, dont want to fry the tci.
        1979 xs1100 f
        142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
        floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
        1978 gl 1000 goldwing
        1981 gl 1100 goldwing
        !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
        when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

I think if you unplug the ballast resistor and run the bike over a long time like that you will burn out the coils and or the TCI. From what I understand you can unplug it for a short time to see if it is the problem but you can only run that way for a couple minutes max.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thinking abut it from my logical viewpoint (however logical that is), the ballast resistor offers of course reistance to the flow of electrons going to the coils. creating the total of 3 ohms between the two. During starting, the ballast resistor is bypassed and the full flow goes to the coils.

So, yes, it will run for a short time without the ballast resistor as it does eveyr time you start it. But I would suspect you will burn out the coils running it like that for a longer period of time. I am not sure how it would effect the TCI, as it is upstream of the ballast resistor and the coils anyway.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
              If you have the 1.5 ohm coils and disconnect the ballast resistor, it will kill the TCI if you run it very long. When not in starting mode, the coil/ballast resistor combo has a total resistance of 3 ohms, so draws half the current the coils alone draw. Switching to 3 ohm coils will allow you to eliminate the resistors.

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...