Lights out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights out

Hi everyone. I've searched the threads and it's probably there but I just can't find the answer. I'm more of a motor type of guy but when it comes to electrical I'm lost. Heres the problem I got caught in the rain and now when driving mostly on rough terrain my lights will go out(speedo cluster and headlight) not the turn signals. I would guess its a loose wire but please tell me where to start! Thanks

First place I would check is all the plugs behind the headlight. Remove the headlight from the bucket and you'll see what I mean.

Everything comes together in there.

Comment

Fuse box

If you have the original fuse box I would check it or better yet replace it.
      When I was putting mine back on the road it gave me a lot of intermintent problems.

The head light relay would be the next area.
      I had to replace the female terminals in the plug. The resistance in the dirty terminals was so high it would blow the head light fuse.

With a wiring diagram you can check the circuit out step by step.

HTH
      Rick
      XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
      650SF
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
      XS1100SG Project bike
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

thanks guy yes my bike is completely stock (besides no paint) and it amazes me how mint everything is. It's like it was in a capsule for 30 years. I've never had a problem from the signal lights down to that infamous octy! It's sad how a rain can ruin that joy. But I will check those out.

Comment

I personally don't believe that the fuse box is the problem in this situation because the fuse that runs the dash lights also runs the starter solenoid and the ignition.

If it was a fuse it wouldn't turn over or run......BTDT

IMHO

Comment

Fuses

I have a 1980 XS1100 Special, the fuse box's are the achilles heal for XS11. I too had the same problem, I replaced the fuse box and it has been solid since.

Here is a link that I followed
            http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...pictorial.html

I bought the fuse box from here
            http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...phrase=af-cfb6

What happens is the old ones loosen up and move around or don’t make a tight enough contact. When mine failed the fuse had black spots all over the end that was loose. It also made the fuse and connecting wire very hot because of that.

I would inspect them closely and see if there is any movement in there.

Comment

Lost in the Maze of Connectors/Wires???

Originally posted by jaimes-duran View Post
              Hi everyone. I've searched the threads and it's probably there but I just can't find the answer. I'm more of a motor type of guy but when it comes to electrical I'm lost. Heres the problem I got caught in the rain and now when driving mostly on rough terrain my lights will go out(speedo cluster and headlight) not the turn signals. I would guess its a loose wire but please tell me where to start! Thanks
              Being lost is where everyone begins with electrical problems. Now is as good a time as any to look at the "map" and get familiar with the roads that electrons follow:

Diagram Courtesy of TopCatGr58
              (click on the diagram to make it big enough to be usable...)

If you look at the diagram you'll see that the headlight and the cluster gauges share a ground and something else: the left handlebar switch. As the switch is more open/exposed and vulnerable to "precipitation" I'd check the wires going to/from that switch and yes, pull the switch off and take a peek inside.

The best troubleshooting equipment is built right into your face. Follow the flow or the lack of flow of electrons through the wires. Using your eyes and a diagram for your specific model/year is a good way to keep from getting lost.

Comment

I had the exact same symptoms. Headlight and guages quit working but turn signals still worked. I had a corroded connection behind the factory fuse panel. A little cleaning and it has been going strong since.
                '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
                Green Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Comment

Ditch the old glass fuses!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Ditch the old glass fuses!
                    Agreed! It might not be the problem THIS time, but you're just asking for trouble by keeping that old fuse block. TC sells the whole thing, including connectors for $11, IIRC. Check out the sticky in the Parts For Sale section.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X