New Bike/Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike/Rider

So I got my first bike. '78 XS11. I realize each bike is different but what are some specifics I should be paying attention to this bike as far as maintainance and keeping it alive or common problems? Also being new to these machines I don't know why my bike doesn't last long in idle. After I've been riding for a while it'll hold for a bit but is this an engine problem or possibly just how my bike is? Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I'm proud to be a part of this group.
    78 xs11

First of all you need to post all the info on the bike. Year, model, exhaust, (stock or modified). In the forum somewhere there is a list of to do things on these bikes when you get them after sitting. First big question is,how long has this one been sitting? There is enough information on here to help you do just about anything you need.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Welcome and congrats on the bike. First off, if this is your first bike and your new to riding, I must say this is a lot of bike, take an MSF class and get some skill from that. Second, get a manual for the bike. There is a member on the board whose name is CatatonicBug in his signature line there is a link to his personal website and there are a couple manual there that you can download for the bike. Third, if it is tuned right it should idle fine and not die or stumble.

There are tons of threads in the tech area on the board for maintenance and things to look out for on a neglected XS. Explore the site and read up but do not be afraid to ask questions if you cant find something your having trouble with!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome to Ch11! A good starting point for new owners is the what to look for on a neglected XS tech tip. Not saying yours has been neglected, but it's a good comprehensive 'what to check' thread.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I appreciate all the help. If I knew every detail of the bike i'd post it. Sorry if not knowing offends anyone. Yes its a huge bike and im only 5'11" and about 75 kgs. I wanted to take the MSC before I bought the bike but didn't have the time so I'll be taking it this weekend. I checked out those old threads. Thanks again for all the help.
          78 xs11

Comment

Hi Turbo. Don't worry, nobody is offended, it's just easier to provide the right help if we know some of the more intimate details. You can start with the model number which you will find on the engine, and on the steering head. They should match if you have the original engine. Modified exhausts can have a huge impact on carburation if either is not done properly, and is an outside chance that it could be the cause of your idling problem. If you have a standard exhaust it will be a chrome 4 into 2 system that "looks" original and you may need to look for some OEM photos to confirm. If you have a 4 into 1 then it's not standard and may have been fitted without carb re jetting. It doesnt always need done (it didnt on mine) but more often that not it does.

5'11 and 75kg's doesnt need to be a problem on a 250+kg bike, I'm not much bigger at 6' and 79kg and I dont have any problems until it's lying on its side, usually after the side stand sinks into soft ground. Carry a flattened beer can (or a full one you can drink and flatten on the spot ) or something similair for those times.

Theyre a big beast, but quite manageable once rolling. Getting it on the centre stand can be challenging for us lighter blokes, but once you develop the right technique it's pretty easy.

Good luck with you new bike and remember two things on here.

1. Theres no such thing as a dumb question if you geniunely dont know the answer, and

2. We love photos. (of your bike) (girlfriends are okay too, but theres a seperate thread for that)
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hi Turbo,

Welcome to "Channel 11" (XS11.com). As stated, no worries on what is or is not posted for a new member, hard to know what to post when you do not evne know there were different models and such. We all started there at some point. While many of our members are in the USA, we have a good number that are from across the big ponds, like Aussie land and the Kiwi contingent, plenty of our Canadian neighbors, and a few from across the european continent. You telling us your weight in kg is an indication your not from the USA. It helps if you fill in your profile information with where your from, as that can also play a part in how your bike might have been built originally. You can also edit your signature to include the year and model of your bike, there are subtle changes made over the years and models that can change what to look for to solve an issue.

In 1978, the XS1100 was a brand new model. They only made it one way, as what is referred to as the "Standard" model. So that is what you most likely have. It is not uncommon for a bike this old that the owner does not even know what they have. Last one I bought had been advertised as a 79 model, its an 81. ITs also common that parts have been changed to keep it running and may be swapped from a newer model or a different style. Pictures can help alot in telling what you have.

It is not common or typical that the bike stalls after idleing. It is common for them to have sat for years without being used, which leads to the carbs being gummed up with old gas, and there are some very small passages that can get plugged that are needed for it to idle correctly. My recommendation, on a bike or any vehicle you get used, is to get the manual and go through all of the items in the maintenance section to be sure they are up to date. The thread on neglected XS linked in the other post is a great one for going over the bike and looking for some of the more common issues these machines develop.

So, enjoy the ride, and remember these beast are big, heavy, and VERY powerful. So, go easy on the right wrist till you get used to how she handles and responds to both throttle and you. Also, compared to some of the newer and smaller bikes they stop like an ocean liner, slowly.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Truth be told I'm from Texas. But don't hold that against me. I'm medical so I'm used to doing everything metric, the way it should be done. My biggest question is how do I know what this bad boys supposed to and not supposed to sound like when running. The speedo reads 160 but ive only gone 80 and thats been pushing it. How do I know I won't throw a rod or something if I push it further.
                78 xs11

Comment

Well, thes bikes are VERY robust and sturdy, especially the bottom end. If you have good oil in there at the right level, and it is not gas contaminated, it is very unlikely you will throw a rod on these bikes.

Thes bikes have a hi reving engine, the power band does not kick in until 5k or so. By all means, I HIGHLY recommend going through ALL the maintenance before pushing the bike or your experience and skills. 80 MPH is pretty quick, however, these bikes will easily go 40 mph more. It should get there without going to red in the rpms.

But again, even at 80 if something breaks or locks up, you can end up in a bad situation quickly. So check all the oils, engine, middle drive, and final drive. And make sure the brakes are working good. Also check the steering head bearings well. Developing a wobble in the steering head at even 80 MPH let alone anything faster will definitely make it one of the most "interesting" experiences of your life, if your around to recall it.

As to sound, well, the cam chain and valve system is a little noisier than some other bikes or any car I've owned.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Ha interesting is definitely a word for that. About 4th gear where should I be sitting at in kph? or mph. Being that this is the first bike I've owned it probably wasnt the smartest decision but I definitely wouldn't change it. I want to see where this takes me but I'd like to do it properly.
                    78 xs11

Comment

I've never really stayed in 4th that long. In 5th gear you should be at about 5k rpm at about 60 mph or so. Really, how fast for what rpm in what gear will not change no matter what the engine condition, it is strictly a gearing issue. (unless the clutch is slipping pretty badly.)

If you really want to acess the engine, start with a compression check. Look at the plugs while you have them out, what color they are can tell alot about the way it is running.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

New Bike /Rider

Mate, Check out the story in the text part of this advertisement
                        http://cgi.ebay.com.au/yamaha-xs1100...1?cmd=ViewItem

How tough are these things to still be ridden to the shop missing a piston, plus with no oil in the motor??
                        With help from these guys, you'll have it purring like a kitten/roaring like a lion in no time.

B.T.W. I'm 5'8" and weigh 66 kgs in full gear so you've no probs at all.
                        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Welcome to the forum! As mentioned, you can get a manual (2 different ones, actually) from the link in my signature. Also, I fully agree with the MSF course recommendation. These bikes were made back when everything was overbuilt (not disposable like nowadays). There are a few examples on this forum of 200k-300k-mile bikes that are still running strong. They run like a top when tuned properly, but will often keep running even when sorely neglected.

Top end is about 135mph or so, depending on how you shift, and how gutsy you are. The tranny shifts like a Russian tractor (loud and clunky), and the brakes leave a bit to be desired. Remember that these bikes are the grandfathers of the modern sportbikes. They run at high rpm, and have a LOT of guts! The '78 was the fastest bike made that year.

There are several other members in Texas, so knowing what area might actually get you some hands-on help if you need it. Take your time, read through ALL the tech tips on here, and read the WHOLE manual. There is a ton of information available on this forum, so if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                            Mate, Check out the story in the text part of this advertisement
                            http://cgi.ebay.com.au/yamaha-xs1100...1?cmd=ViewItem

How tough are these things to still be ridden to the shop missing a piston, plus with no oil in the motor??
                            With help from these guys, you'll have it purring like a kitten/roaring like a lion in no time.

B.T.W. I'm 5'8" and weigh 66 kgs in full gear so you've no probs at all.
                            OHH...there is a member who might be lurking around here still, who had one of the valve heads drop from its stem. He continued to ride the bike, and the valve head bounced around in the combustion chamber beating the piston and the head to a pulp, actually put a hole through the piston and he was pumping oil into the header along with the valve head bent and mangled that went through the exhaust port. He rode the bike home like that!!

I know I once took off a plug wire and forgot to put it back on. Few days later went out and fired the bike up, she sounded awful rough, but I thought it might clear up with warming up, so took it for a spin. She sputtered and spit and then caught now and then, and sputtered and spit....finally turned around and rode home, took a quick look around and saw the plug wire swinging in the breeze, so I was basically riding on two or three cylinders off and depending if the plug wire would ground to the engine. Never seemed like it was THAT bad off though.

These things are part Timex for sure.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Man alive. Missing a cylinder? It's not like they're not a set of car keys, how the hell do you lose a cylinder? Anyway so I checked on the VIN and as far as I can tell its a '78 XS1100E I believe. And standards were the '78s only? Or am I mistaken. Pictures to follow, if I can figure out how to post em.
                              78 xs11

Comment

Working...
                              X