My first bad thing to say about Pod Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bad thing to say about Pod Air Filters

I have always been a fan of pod air filters. I like the look as well as the easy access to the carbs. I have never really had any issues tuning for pods, either. Recently, however, while I was going over some data logs (for those that don't know, my bike is fuel injected), I noticed something that got me thinking. Part of the FI system is the air temperature sensor. I currently have mine rigged up under the gas tank bolt mount just above my pods. I started looking over the temps recorded by the sensor will riding on a 65-70 degF day and noticed that the air temps at the sensor were running from upper 80's to upper 90's after being heated by the air-cooled motor. This is not exactly what I would call cold air. And, as we all know, colder air is better because it has more O2 by volume than warm/hot air, not to mention the difference in air temps being sucked in by the inner two versus the outer two cylinders. Now I know why those smart-pants' at Yamaha went to all the trouble of having that snorkel come off the stock box and go up under the seat.
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Uh oh....i can see it now..... a rash of posts on how to construct some sort of 'sweet looking' snorkels for the pod style filters to allow them to suck colder air!!!
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Heh heh... this wouldn't be the first time an 'improvement' isn't all it's cracked up to be. I will agree that the stock arrangement will guarantee that each cylinder will get the same temp air, but whether it significantly lowers the temp over what you're seeing isn't so clear. Personally, I always thought that Yammy went to the trouble of tucking the snorkel where they did to 'hide' the noise of the inlet (and IIRC, that was mentioned in the reviews of the era). Noise was a big deal on this bike, as they went to a lot of trouble to reduce or eliminate noise sources to make this bike competitive with the inherently quieter Gold Wing. After all, this was the bike they were touting for touring.

'78E original owner
      Last edited by crazy steve; 07-15-2010, 08:12 AM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Kinda funny how things have swung full-circle now, and people just want to make their bikes LOUDER!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I really like how mine is not really all that loud, unless I thrash it, then the thing roars and howls. It's almost scary how the thing sounds above 4k.

Scared a couple of non-harley riders on my last group ride (the harley riders couldn't hear it over the straight pipe ) Nice group though, with several who used to own/ride XS1100's back in the day.

I notice that most of the ones that fall into that category run non-stock bikes and while somewhat loud, not straight pipes, their's actually sounded good (no blipping of the throttle at idle for them either), and they all rode full touring rigs.

Back on topic here, I'm thinking about putting a temp sensor just inside the snorkel so I can see what the temps are going in there. Maybe with another where 81xsproject has his to compare the temps in both locations. I could see where maybe just making velocity stacks and moving the pods further from the engine might help too?
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Hmmm Cold air intake or better yet Ram Air intake up to the pods Hook your Temp Sensor in that and good to go.
            1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
              Uh oh....i can see it now..... a rash of posts on how to construct some sort of 'sweet looking' snorkels for the pod style filters to allow them to suck colder air!!!
              I had the same thought, it just took me a while to stop looking at your avitar.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

Hey Jesse,

That was my next thought, about putting your air temp sensor under the seat and see what temps you see there after the bike is warmed up. You might get some surprises? And you might find that the temps aren't much lower than at the pods. Also, I remember the OEM box being quite warm to the touch....it also gets hot with the radiant heat from the engine, just don't know how insulated the plastic housing is, so don't know whether or IF it might contribute to some heat transfer to the intake air?? And what about folks that have bored the bottom of their air box essentially bypassing the snorkel..plenty of hot air down there!?

Just thinking that we don't want to jump to some assumptions based on one set of data.
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

on the uk site i noticed one of the french bikes
                  had a heat sheald running between the carbs
                  and the engine, that could help prevent some of the
                  hot air from the engines head and barrels getting
                  back to the pods. jat.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

My first bad thing to say about pod air filters

Hey Cy. Not to bust up any trains of thought on this thread, but I noticed one of your bikes is similar to mine.
                    I have an '80G w/ Jardines Spag., Vetter faring, etc. I'm wondering what you did to your mufflers to give 'em some bark?
                    This bike is TOO quiet. I don't want to lose too much low end grunt by adding some holes to the tips, but it'd be nice to scare the squirrels.
                    Care to share? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X