Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airbox

hey,

just a quick question. how long, if at all, can i run my bike without the airbox or filter on it? i am tired of putting it back on and taking it off to check.
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

airbox

Until you suck up enough dust to wear the edges off the rings and turn your XS engine into a mosquito sprayer or crop duster.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Obviously it will run without it, and if your just looking to see if your carbs are leaking or not, then run it. You could run it for a few short rides and not do any real damage.

However, it will give you bad feedback for tuning as the air box makes a noticable difference in how the bike runs and the tuning of the carbs and synching as well.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

You can actually get it to run well with it off?! Mine will barely run with it off.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

There is a mod mentioned before about the box to make it removable with the carbs in place. I intend to do it next time I have to pull the cabs on my SF.

The latest reference I found to it is here.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=snorkel
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Air box?

Just me but you can run it forever w/o and be OK or you could just start it up without a filter and need a new motor, depends on what it sucks in! Why would you take that chance? If you are tunning and need easy acc, at least put some cheap aftermarket filters to keep it from sucking in a dooms day chunck, JMHI. A pice of cheese cloth and some rubber bands would be better then nothing.
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Airbox Mod

Hi 1st bike. Like SFerrin said there are some mods that make it easier. Icut the center part of the top bracket out and just use theback hangers. I know some other have done things simular. Only problem is if you want it to be strictly stock, it would be hard to go back. DON'T TAKE THE SCREWS OUT OF THE TOP OF THE AIRBOX! Unless of course you enjoy puzzles! I was warned of this by others on this site, so I'm just passing it along. I also cut the snorkle back on my bike, nearly flush with the airbox. Makes things easier, I suppose if you kept the cut off piece you could glue it back on.

Where in Indiana are you?
              1979XS1100SF
              K&N's and drilled airbox
              Jardine 4in1
              Dunlop Elite 3's
              JBM slide diaphragms
              142.5 main jets
              45 pilot jets
              T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
              750/850 FD mod.
              XV 920 Needle Mod.
              Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
              Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Tim...i asked the same thing....where in Indiana....

Food for thought, look at the post from '81project on the "first bad thing about pods"...

makes me wonder just a bit about how to make something that looks wild, but functions great.....i myself do NOT like the look of the stocker box....but to each their own!!!

As most would say...I WOULD NOT RUN IT LONG WITHOUT FILTERS....it doesnt take much to give your carbs indigestion!!!!!
                '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                Windjammer(wiring issues)
                SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                New paint/brakes to come!!
                ===============
                '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                ===============
                '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

So it looks like everyone is saying mostly the same thing but what you have to remember is, making changes to the air box is going to affect the performance of the engine. Not only that but, you risk irreversible damage to the engine with no filter/s. Once you get the bike tuned correctly there wont be many reasons to take the carbs off again. I stored my bike over the winter and drained the carbs and had no reason to take them off this season, and my K&N keeps all the bad dust out...

P.S. - The snorkle can be removed completely with no adverse affect to the filtering capability of the stock box/filter setup.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

i am in indianapolis....

thanks guys, i think i got the answer i needed, which is i can run it to test it, because i don't want to mod the airbox, mostly i can't get the screws off of the top of the carbs, so i am trying to pull the rubber boots off of the airbox and soak the carbs (not the boots) with carb cleaner, and hope that solves my problem....not that i am in love with the looks of the airbox, but first, i want a bike that runs...then i'll worry about mods, but i have heard enough bad things about pods that i really don't wanna mess with them. i am about ready to just buy new carbs and be done with it. if don hadn't gone and gotten himself all hurt i would have bugged him when he came into town for work, but i think he probably doesn't need an extra few hours on his feet working on my stupid bike....

Comment

Hey First, I'll be up that way in the next few weeks I am sure. Be happy to pop in and give you a hand. I have some of those camp chairs that fold up, so I can sit and point you in the right direction!

Honestly, I spend hours in the man cave messing with stuff. I do tend to sit more than stand still, but I tended to do that before the accident to. After all, I have a figure to maintain, even if it is a round one.

I'll be happy to see what we can figure out on it. Nothing feels better than finding that little change it needed to go from running like junk to running like a raped ape.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

i sure would appreicate the help, or at least give it a listen to get me going in the right direction. i don't want to put you out any, i know you work over by keystone when you are here, and you stay in a hotel close...not a stalker, you told me this once before, but i didn't want to give you something else to do after working all day and recovering. lemme know when you are headed this way, and what kind of beer you like, and i'll have some of that, and a bike (and owner) that could use a little help gettin' back up to snuff....

Comment

Yep, that is where my office is, where I work changes every time I go there. I tend to work on site, my job is more about helping folks figure out how to make their buildings operate correctly or more efficiently.

I typically do not stay overnight, but have stayed out there before. I'll let you know next time I'm heading up and have a free evening to work with you.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            P.S. - The snorkle can be removed completely with no adverse affect to the filtering capability of the stock box/filter setup.
                            I agree. The snorkel is only there to reduce intake roar and you can't hear it at riding speed anyway. It's one of those things you can loose and not loose anything.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st bike View Post
                              ... mostly i can't get the screws off of the top of the carbs, so i am trying to pull the rubber boots off of the airbox and soak the carbs (not the boots) with carb cleaner, and hope that solves my problem....not that i am in love with the looks of the airbox, but first, i want a bike that runs...then i'll worry about mods....
                              Remember, if you do get the carbs off dont soak them in a bath of carb cleaner, at least avoid soaking the rubber seal parts in the carb. The rubber will be damaged...

There are others who use pods but modified their air box (cut out the face) so the pods go into the stock box... If I ever decide to run pods thats what I would do. You get to keep the stock look and that chrome plate on the side of the air box but get the convenience of pods... Wish I knew where I seen that picture...
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X