Air blowing out vaccum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air blowing out vaccum

I have a 1978 XS1100 that ran perfect when i put it away two yrs ago. When I pulled it out of storage it seems that the #4 cylinder is not working properly. At idle up to 3000 or 4000 rpm it misses on #4, once the rpm's get up there it runs fine. When running at the lower rpm's air blows out the vacuum on the carb boot. I have cleaned the carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this will soud impossible from the view point it ran fine when you put it away and did nothing in between, but this sounds very much like a stuck or bent valve to me.

Once you get into the upper RPMs on these bikes a miss seems to disappear, even when it is still there. And I have worked on one with the same issue that we found to be a bent valve. Run a compression check at least, just for S&Gs.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Did it have gas in it while it was stored?
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

It did have gas in when stored.

Comment

If gas has been sitting in the bowls for two years, chances are it's got the carbs gummed up. Usually it's worst in the bottom of the bowls, and you need to make sure the little jets in the bottom of the bowls are clear. Sounds like a job for a can of carb cleaner and a bread tie.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
          X