front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end

Hi new to this site not sure if this is the place to post this if not please move it to where it needs to go and a big thank you. I have a 1981 xs1100 and wanted to get ride of the fairing and if there is a after market setup for the head light and turn singles? i feel it makes it way to hot and the bike unstable with it on i just got the bike this year but don't like the fairing thanks for you help and will be fixing what is needed on the bike so i will be back for more help i am sure

Do you have a standard or a special model. The 81 model specials had the side covers that say "Eleven Special" on them among the other items standard on all specials like the tear drop shaped tank instead of the more boxy tank with the knee cutouts on the standard tank, or the front forks with the wheel mounted to the front of the forks instead of the bottom of the forks. Or the round shaped turn signals front and rear as opposed to the square shaped signals on a Standard.

Not sure about after market, but you can get the stock parts used. In fact, if you remove the fairing, you may find the headlight brackets are still under there. One of the harder parts to find in good condition. Turn Signals can be found at Parts-n-more. Headlights buckets from an XS650, or XS750/850 are also supposed to match up nicely.

And now for the somewhat self serving portion of the program, I just happen to have for sale on Ebay right now the Special model parts your likely to need. This thread has links to the auctions.
    Last edited by DGXSER; 07-12-2010, 02:04 PM.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I'll add to this; as was pointed out, the standards and specials are different, but many of the bikes have had parts swapped around so you may have a 'frankenbike'. The standards have a square headlight and gauges, the specials are round. But some fairings only came with round headlights, so you can't go by that. If your fairing has a square healight (and your bike is a standard), all you need is the bucket and the ears, and the turn signals and mounts to 'restore' it. Post some pics, and we'll be able to tell you what you'll need.

Welcome!

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

DGXSER
        [/QUOTE] or the front forks with the wheel mounted to the front of the forks instead of the bottom of the forks. Or the round shaped turn signals front and rear as opposed to the square shaped signals on a Standard.[/QUOTE]

Now with that said, not trying to hijack the topic, I have a 78 with round headlight and turn signals and the front tire mounted to the front of the forks not under.

Are you saying i have a 78 Special?

Comment

Welcome aboard! Pictures will really help in identifying what you need. You can also compare your serial number (on the top right side of the engine case, under the carbs) with this list, and tell us what you come up with. The fairings definitely don't make the bike unstable, but they aren't for everyone. They provide a HUGE amount of wind protection, but some folks prefer to feel the wind. You might want to hang onto the fairing though, just in case you change your mind. If you really want to get rid of it, be sure to keep the mounting bracket with the fairing, as those things are hard to come by, and I'm sure you'll find a buyer for the set eventually.

Also, you may want to put your location in your profile, in case someone local might be available to help you with an issue.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rstyduck View Post
            DGXSER
            or the front forks with the wheel mounted to the front of the forks instead of the bottom of the forks. Or the round shaped turn signals front and rear as opposed to the square shaped signals on a Standard.[/QUOTE]

Now with that said, not trying to hijack the topic, I have a 78 with round headlight and turn signals and the front tire mounted to the front of the forks not under.

Are you saying i have a 78 Special?[/QUOTE]

No such animal... but you very well may have a frankenbike that has had a special fork assembly swapped onto it. Fairly common occurance, sometimes done due to a wreck and that was all that was available, sometimes for looks...

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Are you saying i have a 78 Special?
              Nope. No such thing. You either have a Special from another year (see the serial number link in my last post to verify) or parts from a Special have been grafted onto your E.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I'll practice the KISS principal, what they said!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Weird. Ok, thanks. It says 10/78 on the frame tag. Has a kick start and round lights and the aformentioned forks.
                  Geuss ill never know if its original or not. Looks like it.
                  I'll back out and leave topic go back to what it was.

Comment

Weird. Ok, thanks. It says 10/78 on the frame tag. Has a kick start and round lights and the aformentioned forks.
                    Geuss ill never know if its original or not. Looks like it.
                    I'll back out and leave topic go back to what it was.
                    You could check the serial to know for sure, but it's possible/likely it's a 79 model being made that late in 78. My 80 was made around the same time in 79, and it's clearly an 80 as the sticker is still on the headstock and states so.

And it that case it could well be a 79 special. That's both a plus and a minus, as the 79 special has many elements that are unique, such as sharing the shape of the side covers with the 80-81 standards but having them hung on the frame differently, a seat that only fits the one year and model etc.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Weird. Ok, thanks. It says 10/78 on the frame tag....
                      The tag date means nothing; in fact, with that late in the year build date, it's probably a '79 model. You really need to check the serial number on both the frame and the motor to know definitively what you may have. That info is here...
                      http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html

Keep in mind that this will really only positively tell you what frame and motor cases you have; if parts have been swapped around (easily done with some bits), you may have to really dig to figure out what you have...

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Look at the first three digits of the frame and engine numbers. 2H7 and it's a Standard, 3H3 and it's a Special, and supposed to have all the round parts.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Look at the first three digits of the frame and engine numbers. 2H7 and it's a Standard, 3H3 and it's a Special, and supposed to have all the round parts.
                          Actually DiverRay up here in Canuck land the 79 Special is a 3H4 designation for the first three digits.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I have a 79f and the date is apr. 78. So you might have a 79 special.
                            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                            8mm msd wires
                            tkat fork brace...
                            Fox shocks...
                            mikes650 front fender
                            led's gallore...
                            renthal bars
                            gold valve emulators
                            vmax tensioner
                            Rifle fairing

Comment

I was thinking about that, I bet its a 79 Special that i have. Sweet. Maybe i shouldnt molest it to bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X