No announcement yet.

Chopped n dropped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow i didnt know that asking if i could get rid of the wireing would start quite a discution about the charging system i think i am going to keep the electronic ignition system just eliminate everything els haha but i need a new ICM because the one on my bike is missing does anyone know how to tell witch one i need and where i can find a cheep one they are any were from 100 to 250 on ebay and i dont know what one to look for
    80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

If you are referring to the TCI or electronic ignition module, the 81 models use the 4RO version. It has a yellow tag on it, if the tag is still there. It is kind of rare as it was only used for the 81 model year.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

so the 81 takes a special module? i wont work with an older one? just baught one on ebay hope it works
        80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
        79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
        82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
        81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
        06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
        81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
        81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Well, I think it would start with the wrong one, if it plugs in. If I am not mistaken the older 2H7 TCI has a different connector set than the 4RO does.

In 81, they stopped putting a mechanical timing advance mechanism on the bike and instead programmed that advance into the TCI box. All the previous years had an actual mechanical advance. So when changing the TCI to a 2H7 model, you also need to change out the timing setup under the left engine cover to match.

Not sure if it works in reverse, but I know some XJ owners have used a 4RO TCI with good results. You could use the 10M from an XJ, especially if you got the vacuum sensor to signal the TCI of engine vacuum. In 82 with the XJ model they quit putting actual vacuum modulated timing advance in as well, and added that timing adjustment to the TCI based upon an electrnic signal from a vacuum sensor.

So, it can be done, but there is more to it than just plugging the "other" one in place.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
          X