1st, 2nd gear fix.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st, 2nd gear fix.............

Ok, my question is.......If I remove the gears myself...Is there anybody out there I can send them to to do the dermal fix with? I would pay for your time and effort......shipping as well.
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

If you just do not have the tools needed and do not want to buy them, I can see farming the task out I suppose.

I will say that the accuracy involved is not THAT critical. When I do the grinding, I use the kids old playdough as a sort of plastigage to judge gear engagement. I put a smidge on each dog, then mount the gears on the shaft and engage them with some force to push the playdough out. Then look at all three and see where they are uneven, and grind the gears as needed to get them engaging together.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Do you not have a dremel or die-grinder? For the cost of shipping both ways, you could go buy the proper tools and do it yourself. As DG said, precision is not critical. You can just eyeball most of it by looking at the tech tip drawings.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I did it and it works great, follow the directions in the thread and youll be riding. I did it w/ no vise and never even seeing a tranny apart.
        '79 XS 1100F

Comment

1st/2nd.....

Hummmmmm....thanks all for the info.......the clay sounds like a winner! OK...I'm goen for it!!!!!!! I just didn't want to do all this and put it back together and it not work ya know!
          At this time:
          1985 Goldwing Innr.
          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
          2007 vtx 1300
          81 sx 1100 s h
          81 sx 400 special

Comment

I had the same concern at first, I thought I needed a machinest instruments and mill to do it. Then I figured worse case scenario, I could buy an entire tranny on ebay for $70 or so. In the end, the clay worked out for me. Put thousands of miles on the gears with no problems.

Now, when you finish dremeling the gears, that is when the fun begins, getting it all back in that little hole they came out of!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

The clay

is an excellent idea. In machining we use Persian Blue which does the same thing but to much tighter tolerances (not needed here and I digress). Go slow, take your time and it will come out fine.
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

And a dremel tool is an inexpensive tool also-You can buy a kit that cuts circles and does other things for $100.00 but that is the top of the line dremel-I think you can buy one for less than $40.00.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                X