tire and fork seal tips to share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire and fork seal tips to share

During the resurrection of my ‘81-eleven special I made a couple observations I thought I’d share, as another payment for the help I’ve received. I bought a rear tire. “Shinko” brand (Korean) bias ply. Looks great. Mounted great (mindful of the weight dot in accord to the valve stem y’all). What I also liked was the price. Around $65 If I recall. Lots of tread depth. Reviews I read were good. We’ll see how it lasts.
    Second, (a lot of you may have this down pat) I have had a battle with fork seals. Third time’s a charm. Finally came to the K&S stock #16-1027. I’ll spare the whore stories (is there two ways to spell whore, as in terrible consiquences or women of ill repute? I digress). I have a ’75 Gold Wing and the Special takes the same part# as the one for the wing. I found there are apparently two sizes for the different model xs1100’s. I’m not sure, I just know the first set I tried, and were listed for an
    xs1100, were too wide (diameter) and I destroyed them. I installed the above part today and they are, so far, flawless and no stiction issues. I really tested them on a nasty 7 mile stretch of tarmac. BTW they are the 37x48x10.5mm (part # above), NOT the 37x48x12.5 that I also f…up the other day because the depth is so tight. It’ll work, but it’s tougher to get in deep enough. Both the 10.5 and 12.5 depth are listed as appropriate and the 10.5 takes a measured eye to get it even around the tube and just below the c-clip and washer space. 1-½” PVC pipe as a driving sleeve worked great (it’s 1-7/8 O.D.), placing the washer on top of the seal for the final few taps cuz it gets tight near the end. Use the factory trimmed end of the pipe as a driving surface since it’s gonna be squarer than the end you cut off. I hope this helps someone. Had I read it, it would have saved me two prior failures.
    John
    klr650 thumper
    '75 carbon fiber naked gold wing
    Proud new owner 81 Eleven Special (all time fave!)
    Formers: 81 Kawi LTD 1000
    '79 CB750F, '98 Kawi Connie

Originally posted by klrconcours View Post
    I’ll spare the whore stories (is there two ways to spell whore, as in terrible consiquences or women of ill repute? I digress).
    Thanks for the tip, I'm doing my research to learn to replace the front fork seals on my XJ1100... just noticed a little puddle of oil on the ground near my front tire.

As to your spelling question...
    Horror = terrible consequences
    Whore = women of ill repute

Comment

in the back of my small mind I knew I had lost the word horror. You would think I would have remembered, having lived through the likes of "Night of the Living Dead." Banned in 36 countries, or so the promo stated, and "The Hills Have Eyes." (series two and three also I have been told!)
      klr650 thumper

Comment

Fork Seals

I used the K&S 37x48x12.5 on my 79SF because it was all I had on hand. Applied some red TRV as mentioned by one Xcessive at XSEast, then banged them in using the PVC sleeve as described When I inserted the fork tube I made sure the seal didn't turn in. I think that's what caused my previous leak.

So far they've been holding.
        Darrell
        78E
        80G project
        06FJR

Comment

maybe what caused mine too. I have one 12.5 in one side holding well. Was a bugger to get all the way seated to get the clip in!
          klr650 thumper

Comment

Working...
          X