Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blinkers wt?

Hi,

I tested the blinkers today, and they didnt work at all if the engine was off, or if it was idling, that is, blinkers on each side would actually come on, but would not blink.

I then rode it home, and they worked fine at road speed. Is this a sign of inadequate voltage at low or no rpms, thats what I am guessing, I will test that tomorrow and check back to see what youz all think.
    80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

This is common, as the charging system doesn't put out enough at idle (and certainly not with the engine not running) to keep up with demand, couple that with the fact that it's unlikely that you still have the higher wattage bulbs that are stock, but rather likely have automotive bulbs, there is not enough current flowing through the flasher to heat the bi-metal strip to break the circuit and make it flash. It's one of the reasons to give up on the auto cancel and change to an electronic flasher. If you get the right one, and can work out getting the right LED bulbs you can switch to LED's as well and even further reduce the load on the charging system.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You know, both of my bikes will/would flash with the engine off, or at idle as well as when running at speed. So, it does not seem to be an inherant issue of the design as much as a change in circumstances over the years.

My thought is that this would relate to clean connections. If the wiring path to the devices eats up enough then there will not be enough left to work the system properly.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        You know, both of my bikes will/would flash with the engine off, or at idle as well as when running at speed. So, it does not seem to be an inherant issue of the design as much as a change in circumstances over the years.

My thought is that this would relate to clean connections. If the wiring path to the devices eats up enough then there will not be enough left to work the system properly.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.
        +1. If the battery is fully charged, and the connections throughout the charging system are clean and properly connected, you should not have too much of an issue with the bulbs flashing at idle. I found that once I changed my tail/brake light bulbs to LEDs, I never have that problem anymore. My turn signal bulbs remain the stock ones, so I can keep the auto-cancel feature.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
        X