Pilot passage plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot passage plug?

The diagrams show a rubber plug that fits into the pilot jet passage. In my 81 carbs there are none. Are these carbs different in that respect than the earlier models? I have been to the supplemental pages and there is no reference there.

On the 81's you don't usually have a plug. You can tell if you need one by looking down inside the pilot jet tunnel. If there is a small orifice leading across to the main jet tunnel, you need the plugs. If there's no hole, you don't. That's why the main jets are so much smaller on the 80/81 carbs than on the 78/79's. On the earlier model carbs the pilot jets got their gas from the mains via the orifice. On the later model carbs the pilots draw their gas directly from the bowls. There is, however, a bastardized variety of carbs that's kind of a cross between the BS34II's and III's. They're the ones that need the plugs.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks! I have no passage between the two.

Comment

Working...
      X