Horn Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Question

Years back I owned two XS650 specials (78/79). I had heard about a way to adjust the horn volume by turning the center screw in or out. It worked very well..increasing the decibles. However..I have forgotten which direction does which.
    I would like to increase the volume on my 79 XS1100f (Standard).

Any clues????
    Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
    Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Those horns are not much good no matter what you do. Best advise is to get an aftermarket horn that puts out some volume.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

http://www.bikerhiway.com/stebel-nau...source=froogle

Here is a pretty popular horn and its quite loud!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Harbor Freight has some air horns that are very loud and cheap. I have a set for my bike if I ever get around to installing them...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh1100 View Post
          Years back I owned two XS650 specials (78/79). I had heard about a way to adjust the horn volume by turning the center screw in or out. It worked very well..increasing the decibles. However..I have forgotten which direction does which.
          I would like to increase the volume on my 79 XS1100f (Standard). Any clues????
          Hi Welsh,
          as I remember it, there's a little screw to one side of the back to screw in or out to maximize the volume.
          But no matter, I'm with the others, toss those pathetically anaemic stock horns in favour of a Stebel-Nautilus 139dB air horn.
          I have one on my bike and it's seriously loud. Even a cell-phone yakking soccer mom can hear it over the surround sound rap music and the carful of squabbling kids.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            Harbor Freight has some air horns that are very loud and cheap. I have a set for my bike if I ever get around to installing them...

Geezer
            Before buying airhorns have a good look and figure out where you are going to mount the compressor. Can be done but they are not plug and play and will require some thought to locate evrything. I opted for LOUD electric horns.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              Before buying airhorns have a good look and figure out where you are going to mount the compressor. Can be done but they are not plug and play and will require some thought to locate everything. I opted for LOUD electric horns.
              Phil
              Hi Phil,
              not all air horns have a separate compressor, for instance the Stebel-Nautilus horn is all one unit. You do need to wire in their supplied relay though, the horn draws too much power for the horn push to handle directly.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just loosen the locknut, and turn it both ways, while hitting the button.

The screw isn't really a 'volume' adjustment, a horn is a relay that goes on/off really fast (freq).

By adjusting the screw you are opening or closing the relay gap. This can bring back dead horns, or adjust to max volume.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                X