Nickel Plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel Plating

Has anyone ever had anything nickel plated and left it at that. I know most things that are chromed are first copper and then nickel plated before the chrome. I am just wondering how nickel plating holds up over time. Is it easy to scratch? Easy to buff and clean?

I am just looking at different options for coatings this winter when I tear my bike apart and I really like the look of nickel but dont know much about it.

On another note what are the MNS engines coated with to make them black? I am guessing its not ceramic because then the engine would not cool properly.

TIA
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

The chrome over the nickel is for protection. Nickel is fairly soft, as it IS a type of silver. The chrome plate over the nickel allows it to stand up to most of the stuff thrown at it.
    The MNS engine is painted black. They use a paint that will hold up to 500F, IIRC. The BIG thing is a primer for the aluminum. Self etching primer is what should be used, just in a SMALL amount. Then paint with a gloss high temp enamel, and back with engine heat!(110MPH for 20 minutes should do it!)
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Read

this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        Then paint with a gloss high temp enamel
        The MNS engine is not gloss (at least not on mine). The engine case is flat black (or at least something that is not shiny unless it's wet), and the outer covers are high-gloss.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Obtw

Nickel is nickel and silver is silver. The name nickel-silver is for an alloy of the two. Nickel itself is hard- you have probably seen nickel plated guns. The reason chrome is used over nickel is that chrome is far more reflective but needs the nickel for corrosion protection. Triple plated chrome is a misnomer. You start with copper for adhesion then nickel for corrosion then chrome for looks. Bright nickel looks good but is more gray and less reflective than chrome. I do plating in copper, silver, nickel, "black krome", gold, etc..
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

So one person saying its soft one person saying its hard. On the Mohs scale (according to wikipedia) its a 4 and chromium is a 8.5, don't really know how to interpret this though. I really kinda like the silvery gold look of the nickel but I don't want something on the bike that is just going to scratch up at the slightest little rock hit.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Perspective

Chrome is VERY hard. You will have far less scratches with chrome than nickel. Soft, on the other hand would be copper, silver. or gold. A matter of perspective. Chrome is used in cutting tools to cut steel. EPA is very heavy on chrome platers because it is highly toxic. Nickel is heralded as the green metal for it's non -toxcinity. The thickness of plating is also different as chrome is usually only .0005" thick where nickel is usually .003 to .01" thick.
              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                Nickel is nickel and silver is silver. ...
                Yeah, I'd have to back that one up. If they were the same thing, they wouldn't have their own places on the Periodic Table of Elements.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                X