Carb cleaning with Pine-Sol. Caution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb cleaning with Pine-Sol. Caution.

I finished soaking my carbs in Pine-Sol according to the instructions given here and happy to report that it worked pretty well. Took 2 days but everything broke loose.
    The "caution" is that it also dissolved a lot of the plating off of the choke shaft and linkage and both of the connecting braces and the two center carb caps. Anything that is plated was damaged. Not a disaster but troubling. I don't think I will try it again though.

Wow, that was not listed as an issue in that web link,

Will the plating that was removed impede with the movement of the choke shaft ?
    1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

I have seen posts that people have left carbs in pinosol for a week+ with no ill effects, so this is surprising to me!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

changed chemistry

Hi,

Maybe the company has changed the formula or perhaps moved to buying ingredients from china. From what I have read, any chemical from china is contaminated and not its pure formula. Who knows what all this will mean in the long run. I like the yammie fluid just fine. Its 12 bux a quart, expensive as sin, but using my trix posted elsewhere, 1quart can be used pure, on four carbs, you just have to do two at a time. An old coffee can works well for dunking once the carbs are stripped down.
        Last edited by yamtom; 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM.
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I bought pine-sol for this, but haven't gotten around to using it. Did you mix it with anything else? I was planning to try mixing it with water and using it in my ultrasonic parts washer.
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

did the same

I did the same as you Red, I havnt opened the bottles yet, looks like Julie will get some pinesol to use instead of me, haha.
            Bikes Now.
            79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold

Comment

No bones

with pinesol, but I personally do not like to use any water based cleaner on aluminum. Once aluminum starts corroding it can be a bear to stop. The corrosion is in the form of aluminum oxide which is a white "hard as He!!" dust that can wreck havoc on everything. JM2
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I used it as a 50/50 mix. The parts are not really harmed just don't look pretty any more and I used gasoline to clean off the partially dissolved plating which was a black slime but I used gasoline to clean off the Pine-sol residue anyway. My concern now is the possibility of rust later on. I won't use it again though. Yamaha carb cleaner next time.

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
                  Hi,

I like the yammie fluid just fine. Its 12 bux a quart, expensive as sin, but using my trix posted elsewhere, 1quart can be used pure, on four carbs, you just have to do two at a time. An old coffee can works well for dunking once the carbs are stripped down.

From what I just saw online, 1 quart can go a long way tho.
                  Line 1, 1 part to 2 parts of water, so 1 quart will make 3 quarts of solution, not so bad

1. Prepare a soak type carburetor cleaning solution by diluting this cleaner in an open container. Mix one part product with two parts water.
                  2. Drain stale fuel from carb float bowls and lines.
                  4. Some some of the mixture into the fuel line to bowl and immerse carb in remaining mixture. Do not put in fuel tank!
                  5. After 1 hour drain mixture from carb, reassemble on vehicle.
                  1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

re dilution

Hi,

My dealer said to use the carb cleaner straight without dilution even though the instructions say to dilute. I used it straight, and it worked fine, just had to do the carbs two at a time instead of the whole block inat once.
                    Bikes Now.

Comment

Working...
                    X