XJ electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ electrical

I finished the tranny fix on the XJ and after putting the headlight back on (all the wiring inside was unplugged) and plugging everything back together, the computer indicates a battery problem when there isn't any. The owner even spent money on a new battery and the red light still is lit. He has a factory manual and there isn't anything about troublshooting that problem and the electrical diagram doesn't make any reference to that either. I'm pretty sure I connected everythig like it was as the color codes are easy to see and the plugs are such that they only plug into the correct one. What have I missed??
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Don't have the complete answer for you, but I know that there are special batteries with an electrolyte level sensor that plugs into your bike. Your new battery probably doesn't have one of these sensors. The light doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem, it just means that the sensor's not hooked up. I know there's a fix, try searching for "battery light".

Of course, it's possible that your new battery does have a sensor and it's hooked up properly. If that's the case, you should check your battery's fluid level.

Good luck,
    Brian
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

No sensor

I took the battery out when I turned the bike over and there wasn't and connections except the +/- leads. Are you sure the '82 had such a sensor?
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

Pretty sure. Here's a link to an owner's manual courtesy of CatatonicBug.
        XJ owner's manual

It says there's a button on the dash that you can push once to make the flashing light glow steady, or push it twice to make the flashing light go out. If there's another fault, then the flashing light will come back on. You will have to do this each time you start the bike.

Good luck!
        '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
          I took the battery out when I turned the bike over and there wasn't and connections except the +/- leads. Are you sure the '82 had such a sensor?
          Yes, it has a sensor, maybe it's missing. This tech tip might help....

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...liminator.html
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

One note on the Thech Tip noted above. The resistor value is not real critical. I wrote that you should use a 2K ohm resistor; if you can't fine one, a 2.2 K Ohm, which is real common, works just as well.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

It works

Hi Planedick,,,, I can verify that the xj fix works, when I bought my xj the battery light came on also,,,so using the ohm fix on the wire, found buried in the mess of wires by the fuse box area and battery, it works. I cant remember the color but I think its white with a plug about 2 inches long. The P.O. probably never used it, because it requires a special battery just for the xj,,,,anyway, use the tech fix, its easy 3 min. job and it will last forever.....Mike
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

My XJ has the battery level sensor and the old battery that came with it didn't have the hole to insert into. Luckily the PO didn't just take it off and toss it.
                The new battery I bought from WalMart did have it but it was too small. I had to grind down the plastic part (stopper type) so it would fit. Now, although the sensor is in the battery acid, it takes a few minutes before the battery light turns off at the console.
                May do the resistor mod one day but for now all's well.
                And yes, you can turn off the warning light by pressing that button twice.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Yep.
                  Had to do the same fix to mine. Once you change out the battery to one w/o the sensor, the fix is to install a 2k ohm resistor. Works like a charm.

Course, then you lose the warning function if your batteries electrolite level actually should get low...

Strange idea they had when they thought that one up...
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I wonder

The real problem is that the owner bought the bike in AZ and rode it home. When I asked him if he had that problem on the way he said no, but the battery had no place for any sensor and I didn't see any sensor when I took out the battery.

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

Varibles work

My 750XJ maxim had the "battery flashing warning" problem. Previous owner just hit the warning control to solve the problem. What I did was disconnect and remove the unit from the battery and clean it, reinstall. The part inside the battery looks like a mini dip stick, makes sence because it just measures the level of fluid in the battery, or charging problems. Level goes down you may have to look for an electrical problem or just a standard maintance of adding water. Used to clean the sending unit every 3rd oil change.
                      Now I've got the same problem with the battery light on my 1100 XJ maxim; but just sometimes. A different problem than yours because its intermited. Got to spend time looking for some pain in the a$$ ground fault or corroded connector. I lost my gremlin bell on the way to XS-XJ Mindin rally. This too must be part of the problem.
                      Last edited by icecycle; 07-11-2010, 03:27 PM.
                      "first 60 years of childhood were real fun" Looking forward.

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                        Yep.
                        Had to do the same fix to mine. Once you change out the battery to one w/o the sensor, the fix is to install a 2k ohm resistor. Works like a charm.

Course, then you lose the warning function if your batteries electrolite level actually should get low...

Strange idea they had when they thought that one up...
                        I've just come across that issue. The XJ1100 has a wire to detect electrolyte level. It has a banana plug on the end. The mating female recepticle had a wire & a resistor in series which connects to the sensor which was placed in the battery.

My AGM has no such opening for a sensor. So if I want to defeat this error info to the computer and put a 2K ohm resistor in series, what do I connect the other end of the resistor to? Ground or positive?

Thanks
                        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                          So if I want to defeat this error info to the computer and put a 2K ohm resistor in series, what do I connect the other end of the resistor to? Ground or positive?

Thanks
                          Positive.

Larry
                          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                          82 XJ1100
                          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                          64 Yamaha YA-6
                          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                            Positive.

Larry
                            Thanks Larry,

I just needed to know before doing a wrong thing.

And... your YICS eliminator just arrived & I haven't opened it yet. I'll put it in in 10 minutes!

Thanks for the fast shipping!

Gary
                            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Your welcome.

Larry
                              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                              82 XJ1100
                              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                              64 Yamaha YA-6
                              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Working...
                              X