Vin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin

I need help, I"m trying to get insurance for the bike and they say the VIN has to be 17 characters long!!! mine is only 9
    1981 xs1100SH, my first bike and bike project!

Tell the morons NOTHING had a 17 digit VIN in 1981.......

Comment

wasnt it 80 or 81 that the law went into effect that there needed to be the longer VIN number?? I do remember reading on here a week or so ago someone in Cali that had the same trouble and another member said that the government made an exception for a few companies (yamaha being one of those exceptions) for a year or two because they were having trouble changing their systems over to the longer vin number.

Also did you take the number off the engine or off the steering neck? Check both they could have different numbers on it. Also check you vin against this page http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html you might not really have an 81, it could be older... never know!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
        Tell the morons NOTHING had a 17 digit VIN in 1981.......
        I just checked and 1981 model year was when the 17 digit VIN went into effect. So like I said Yamah was dragging it feet changing over so you might have to get as much info as you can and go back to the DMV and argue a bit.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, I just stuck with nationwide, they didnt give me problems. I did check the VIN with the link that was provided and it is infact an 81. Progressive is just not with it!
          1981 xs1100SH, my first bike and bike project!

Comment

Wasn't sure what year it started.

I have the same problem at work. 60s and 70s vehicles VIN won't work in the computer.

Comment

It was actually a mid year change for the XS11. I have two 1981 XS1100 Specials. Both of which had original engines in them. One had a 17 digit VIN from the factory, but only on the white tag, not the one stamped into the neck. The other one only has 9 digit like the others here.

Try explaining that to your insurance agent! Eventually they just had to accept it, but it took some talking.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Chacal at XJBikes comes thru again. Lays out the basic big picture.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14577.html.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                  Chacal at XJBikes comes thru again. Lays out the basic big picture.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14577.html.
                  Holy crap man! I started to read that but I need to bring a lunch and make it a day trip.

From what I gathered is the 17 digit VIN didn't get into full swing until 1981.

I went and looked and I have 2- 2H7 (78) bikes, 1- 3H3 (79), 1- 3J6 (80), and 1 4R0 (81) in my garage and every one of them has a 9 digit VIN.

The 81s production date is 6/80 so that was probably before the requirement went into effect.

Comment

Working...
                  X