Removing exhaust 1st gear fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing exhaust 1st gear fix?

I am starting the first gear fix(EEEK!)... I got the left side cover off last night, this morning I am going to tear into it(fingers crossed) my first question is, does the exhaust have to be removed completely for the fix? and are all the shift forks the same? if theres damage to a gear(i.e. tooth broke etc.) should I continue or just seek another replacement gear? Thanks in advance.
    '79 XS 1100F

Hey Peru, good luck on the fix. It is not as bad as it seems.

Yes, for stock bikes the exhaust needs to come off to get the tranny pan off. PB Blaster or Liquid wrench is your friend on fasteners, use it.

No, the forks are not all the same. There are three of them, the middle one being easily identified as the shorter one. For the other two, I always remember the longer side of the sleeve goes outboard. The fork itself is off center of the sleeve that goes on the shift fork rod.

I have never seen or even heard of anyone missing a tooth off a gear, but if it were to have happened, you will need a new gear. Much more likely the shift fork may be buggered up.

Take your time work slow and methodically and it will all go fine. And while your in there, do second-fifth as well as the first-fourth.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

1st fix..........

Hay ya'll....getten ready to do the same thing here on my 81 SH. My question is....how much to file off of gears....or how much is not enough. Read over the dremel tool fix..........thanks for any help. We can do it perurider!
      Last edited by brcree; 07-03-2010, 07:40 AM.
      At this time:
      1985 Goldwing Innr.
      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
      2007 vtx 1300
      81 sx 1100 s h
      81 sx 400 special

Comment

You just want to get the rounded edge at the top back to almost a sharp edge. The angle does not need to be mutch. In fact, if you look at the gears on the main shaft when you pull the countershaft out, you can see the factory version of the back cut.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The shift forks are actually numbered. They have 1,2, and 3 stamped on them. They sit in the case in that order, left to right.

Removal of the exhaust is not difficult at all. Once you get the fasteners undone (don't forget the crossover clamp), it practically jumps off the bike with a swift pull foward. Putting it back on, however, is a bit like those puzzles with the 2 horseshoes linked with chain. I just did mine tonight, and it took me a good 20 minutes to install the pipes, even knowing what I needed to do.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X