converting standard to special??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting standard to special??

so i have a 78 XS11 standard, but i really like the way the 80+ XS11 specials look, i like the tank and seat and everything about them, is this a direct swap or is it more complicated than it looks? any help is appreciated
    1978 XS1100 standard, 4 into 2 straight pipes. stock other than that. for now......

Tank pretty easy, seat not so much. The wiring and fuel delivery are a little different between tanks, but otherwise they pretty much just swap directly over. The seats are not as forgiving, it seems.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

thats what i was afraid of what is involved in that process? because the factory seat is less than comfortable and i would love to replace it with a different style. i know the grab bar and stuff is different, and the ignition module is in a different location on the specials, but what else am i missing?
      1978 XS1100 standard, 4 into 2 straight pipes. stock other than that. for now......

Comment

I want to do the opposite...

Where are you located?

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

im in Rexburg, Idaho

Comment

Side covers, and the different way they mount, foot peg brackets, rear brake pedal, ad naseum.....
            If the seat is your big complaint, just take it to a GOOD local shop, and have them re-foam, reshape and recover it. It cost me about $200 to have a seat and backrest totally redone in San Francisco about four years ago. Some of the smaller towns should be less money. I DID put a gel pad in the seat, and I love it! Just keep in mind, I had the seat done in WHITE. The first seat with a gel pad was black, and NEVER AGAIN!! I would get out from work, hop on the bike for the 40 minute ride home, and spend most of the time on the foot pegs, because MY bun was burning! The gel pads can hold heat for a LONG time!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              Side covers, and the different way they mount, foot peg brackets, rear brake pedal, ad naseum.....
              If the seat is your big complaint, just take it to a GOOD local shop, and have them re-foam, reshape and recover it. It cost me about $200 to have a seat and backrest totally redone in San Francisco about four years ago. Some of the smaller towns should be less money. I DID put a gel pad in the seat, and I love it! Just keep in mind, I had the seat done in WHITE. The first seat with a gel pad was black, and NEVER AGAIN!! I would get out from work, hop on the bike for the 40 minute ride home, and spend most of the time on the foot pegs, because MY bun was burning! The gel pads can hold heat for a LONG time!
              LOL, bit of a bummer hey!
              XS 1.1 '84 Midnight Special
              Honda CBX 250 2009
              Kempton Park
              Johannesburg
              South Africa
              Jan

Comment

silvertwist,
                Who are you rooting for? I KNOW the finals are now!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Frames are different, forks are different, some parts and the way they are installed are different. If you want a special, buy one and reburb it.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

An ill-advised

project, I fear. Rob has the right idea ... get one or swap yours for one ... some people like one or the other ... it's about even Steven.
                    80G Mini-bagger
                    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

It can be done if you want to enough. This was a 78 xs11 standard a few years ago.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

that looks really good! how did you get everything to fit right?

Comment

It would take to many words. In a nut shell it's a 78 standard with a special tank and side covers(had to rig the top mounts but the bottoms snap in.) Mod Harley seat (883 sporty) cut frame, made fender mounts. 80 special rear fender, clubman bars. Changed a bunch of other parts, but more because I liked them( slotted brakes, exhaust, pods, paint, ect)
                          It's against xs11.com bylaws to kill a good stock xs, but It seems to fine to do what you want with a junker.
                          I don't get email updates, because I changed my email and forgot my password. Can't change my email for updates. It's best to PM me if you want help.
                          Garrett
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                          X