Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Need Help!

Hi all,

sorry for the 911, I was driving my bike down the street and all o a sudden it started driving strange, then all of a sudden the bike turned off and everything locked up. I literally skidded to a stop. I tried a few things to get myself up and running again but I can't seem to move forward because of the brakes. I can roll back, just not forward (even in neutral). Any ideas on what the heck just happened? PS, just looked up and sen another xs1100 drive right past me, didn't even look in my direction =(
    1980 XS1100SG
    In the process of making her look pretty!
    P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

is the front wheel locked up or the rear wheel or both?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I can't tell 100% but the front for sure because the bike dips down when I try to push.
      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

if you have something to do it with try cracking the brake bleeders open and see if it might be something with those.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I don't have anything at the moment.
          1980 XS1100SG

Comment

well I got nothing then. Give it some time and let it cool down maybe it will start to roll again and you can start it again. I would guess if the front wheel locked up it has to either be the brakes or your wheel bearings. Cause thats about all that there is up there to lock up. If either started to drag and then lock up it would cause your engine to die. Have you tried starting it again? Did it make any bad noises when it died first I guess? Put it up on the center stand (if you still have one) and see if the back wheel spins. If it does then you know its front break or bearings (i would say most likely brakes).

I bet you wont leave home without some simple tools on had again
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

my limited knowlege... hope it helps..

i'm guessing the rear locked up.

if you front locks up there is NO posible way to keep the bike upright.
              it will go down.

so the rear being locked up can mean many things.

i would start at the rear and work forward.
              pull the rear tire off. check for locked bearings
              pull the calipher and check it over for free moving/locked sliders parts
              pull the FD off, check to see that it spins freely
              pull the middle drive off, see if that spins freely.

(i'm guessing the middle drive locked up on you)

so.. drop in a new(used) middle drive with new seals(if you can get them?)
              don't forget to add oil (Royal Purple 75-140W) it's spendy($18-20/Qt) but you don't change it very often, once every 2-3 years, just remember to check it.

Now, check the engine over, instant dead stop could nock the cams out of time...?

pull all the spark plugs, turn fuel off, install kick starter and slowly turn engine over. If it stops OR gives you any resistance then STOP TURNING ENGINE
              you can bent a valve or 4 or 8, if you force it. (re-time cams)

if engine spins over freely, with no resistance then install plugs and turn on the fuel and keep riding.

If it was the motor.... god help you.. i can't..
              i'm not and engine guy.. sorry.
              Last edited by MindWebs; 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM.
              1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
              1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Near here

Since you are in Orange county, CA like me you could use my services and maybe go for a ride sometime. I just finished a tranny fix on a XJ so the garage is open now and I do offsite emergency fixes too. PM me if you're interested.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Reading your post, it appears that you would be smart to take Planedick up on his offer. He is REALLY good ...
                  80G Mini-bagger
                  VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                  79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                  79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thanks for the all of the info guys. I'll definitely be giving him a call.
                    1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help. It all came down to a middle gear issue. Pulled it out and tried manually turning it a few times and it wouldn't turn then after a little bit of back and forth, it started turning again. So I just bought a new one off of eBay and I should be back up and running in no time. Thanks again for all of your help for everything.
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                      X