Looking for an engine in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an engine in Ohio

Let me first say that i am new to this site and am so glad i found it. There are a lot of great ideas that i have seen to improve my ride(79' xs). But i am looking for an engine (mine knocks) and hope that maybe one of you may know of a place around Ohio. My bike was given to me by my father and if i have to, i will just try my hand at rebuilding the engine myself. Any feedback would be greatfull.

Welcome to the board! There is a lot of useful info and helpful advice here from everyone. There are a few guys on here I know that sort of deal with parts and sell stuff to people. For now you best bet would be to check the for sale forums. Bike for sale (may have parts bikes) http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70 and then the parts for sale http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 there is also the Wanted to buy forum http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72 Check those out. There is also ebay. things sometimes get way overpriced on there but every now and then you can get things at a reasonable price!

Also rebuilding the engine wouldnt be that tough if you have the time and the desire to do it. Who knows maybe if you post a good description of what is happening someone might be able to help you figure out what is happening and get it fixed without having to rebuild!

Good luck!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for the insight natemoem, could prove to be helpfull. I am sure that the bottom end is in need of bearings. You see my father owned this bike and the carbs were leaking gas into the top end, but was still ridding it. When he finally adressed the issue,there was alot of gas mixed in with the oil. He had the carbs rebuilt and chaged the oil, thats when it started tapping in the bottom. Now every time i start the bike it seems to get louder. So i guess the real question is engine swap, rebuild the original, or am i missing somthing i should try or check first?

Comment

Hello KeK,

Welcome to XS11.com. We have a group of XS owners in the Cincinnati area. We have more folks in the upper Ohio area as well.

Hard to say on the engine, keep an eye out and you can find one. Depending on what yours needs, I may have some parts from a fine runner I had that could help.

Is the knock in the upper engine or lower region?
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The knock or tapping at this point is in the bottom end, from the left side. When i pulled the timming cover i could hear it even better. Is there somthing else i should check? Thought about using some restore an engine additive, but am not sure if it would effect the transmission. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatfull. I am in central Ohio just north of Columbus.
          Last edited by kek; 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kek View Post
            The knock or tapping at this point is in the bottom end, from the left side. When i pulled the timming cover i could hear it even better. Is there somthing else i should check? Thought about using some restore an engine additive, but am not sure if it would effect the transmission. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatfull. I am in central Ohio just north of Columbus.
            I would say stay away from the engine additives because of the wet clutch, but I could be wrong maybe someone has used something and didnt have a problem.

Have you checked your timing to see that it is correct? could be something to look at.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Does it make the noise whenever the engine runs, only when in gear? I do not thienk I would use that restore stuff on these engines as the tranny is part of the engine.

Thinking if it is crank and rod bearings or if it is tranny oriented.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

If you are using oil thinner than 20W50, you might get a bearing knock. I had a similar problem with a bad crank bearing, I ran 70W V twin oil in it. The knock was barely there and I got another 20K out of the motor. It was hard to start in cold weather though. YMMV
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  If you are using oil thinner than 20W50, you might get a bearing knock. I had a similar problem with a bad crank bearing, I ran 70W V twin oil in it. The knock was barely there and I got another 20K out of the motor. It was hard to start in cold weather though. YMMV
                  I can imagine it being hard to start!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here's an engine for sale in Ohio

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XS1100-XS-...item1e5cc80d37
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

xs engine

theres one east of Indy, IN. a 78 complete(?) bike, Craigslist.$250
                      '79 XS 1100F

Comment

Tanks

The response from all of you is great, i am so glad i found this site. I will keep you informed of what i find out about this issue.

Comment

Still have issuses

Just wondering what year engines will swap out with my 79' xs. I have found a 78' that i am going to look at, but want to know if it will interchange. Also does it matter if it is a xs or xj, any feedback would be great.

Comment

They will all swap, some with more adjustments than others. The timing and ignition modules are the things to watch out for. The XJ motors have the YICS in them, along with a sensor-actuated electronic advance. If you have all the parts that go with the engine, you can make it work though.

IIRC, the '78 and '79 engines are identical, and don't require any special handling to swap them. I may be wrong on that though...
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

78-80 will interchange no problems for a complete motor swap.

The 81 model year they changed up the electronic ignition components to eliminate the mechanical advance and eliminated the ballast resistor with 3 ohm coils. So to swap engines, you need to replace the ignition timing setup under the left side cover pretty much in its entirety, or swap the TCI out, and I believe the coils as well.

In 82, for the XJ they added the yics (just makes it more of a challenge to synch the carbs, see the YICS eliminator by Yahman). They also gave them a better alternator. In 82 they also removed the vac advance to an electronic vac adv curve in the TCI with a vac sensor as Bug had mentioned. So again, you will need to change out the timing setup in its entirety.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X