Changing oil types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing oil types

So, I had put Mobil1 15w50 synthetic in when I did my first oil change 1500 miles ago. In the warmer temps, I've started burning oil, and synthetic lasting longer doesn't do much good when you're always adding a quart every month or so, so I want to change it out to try some Castrol 20w50 special dino blend (aka, normal oil). I know I shouldn't mix the oils, so I was going to be sure and drain the filter cup, but do I need to also change filters when changing the type of oil?

I don't mean this to be another oil thread, but if you want to make it one, I don't really care. Just put some popcorn out if you do.

TIA
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Filters are cheap. why wouldnt you change the filter when you change your oil?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Filters are cheap. why wouldnt you change the filter when you change your oil?
      requires waiting as I don't have one on hand and don't want to buy another quart of the synthetic.
      1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
      2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Well I know people that mix synthetic and regular oil so I dont see any problem with leaving the filter and just changing the oil. But I am no expert...
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You can can top up with dino oil until you get around to changing the oil and filter.

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
          X