What parts to leave OFF the bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What parts to leave OFF the bike?

Quick question - I like to remove anything that is not necessary. What can we loose off of these bikes, what have you taken off your bike or wondered why oh why did they need to add that in the first place?
    I have ditched the standard fusebox for something more up to date, much easier to carry/buy spares for too. I am stripping some useless clips and cables and brackets, nothing major much but every bit helps.

What is with the plastic cup type thing on the rear wheel, is that just a (poor) attempt to keep dirt and dust and water out of the final drive, can i leave it off without ill effects, or should i leave it as is?
    1980 XS1100G 'Phoenix' - top to tail rebuild in progress

Open to suggestions, send a PM!

The center stand. You don't need two stands. But don't throw it away, as it is the best work stand for this bike. I temporarily re-install mine when changing oil, etc. The center stand is heavy, too.

Other than a few other odds and ends, I don't think there is really a lot that can be done away with completely. There is a lot that can be replaced for lighter components, though.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

that is actually the reason im leaving it on, in case i need to do some work on the roadside, centre stand will make it piece of cake to work on. It is pretty useless day to day though yes, maybe i will take it off and put it back on for long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
        ...There is a lot that can be replaced for lighter components, though.
        The brake rotors. These are the heaviest bike rotors I've ever ran into. Drilling them out will help, but you won't gain all that much. Pretty much everything else is comparable, weight-wise, to the same parts found on other bikes from what I've seen. The wheels are rather heavy too, but there's not much you can do about the rear.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I wouldn't touch that plastic cup type thing.I think it is a vent for the final drive.Actually it is called a breather
          Last edited by oldyam80sg; 07-01-2010, 03:28 AM.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
            I wouldn't touch that plastic cup type thing.I think it is a vent for the final drive.Actually it is called a breather
            I think he's talking about the cover between the wheel and the final drive,

Part 18 on the drawing.

DONT take it off. It's there to stop crap from getting in between the wheel and the drive splines. I've just replaced mine as it was damaged and a one day a rag managed to get between it and the final drive. It wound up around the splines and some of it worked it's way thru the drive oil seal. Look closely at the following photo and you can see a gap between the cover and the drive. About 20mm of the edge of the cover was melted away by the time I discovered the rag, but I'm not sure how because the rag was spinning with the wheel and so was the cover.

How the rag got there in the first place is another story for another time
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Eek, ok, dogbowl looking thing stays on! We like storytime, how did a rag get in there?!

Comment

Just replaced my rear tire a couple of weeks ago and got a chance to reomve the collar and clean a lifetime's worth of grease and road gunk off it. You bet it belongs. Being that these are mostly naked proto-sport bikes, there isn't much you can take off, unless you've got a full bagger with fairing. The fenders could be chopped, but that's about it as far as I can see. The rotors and calipers are pretty heavy for unsprung weight and could be replaced with lighter versions. You could also probably get lighter rear shocks.
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I took my fenders off, but that's not very practical if you ride in the rain!
                  Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Originally posted by Luxury View Post
                    I took my fenders off, but that's not very practical if you ride in the rain!
                    The front fender acts as a fork stabilizer of sorts, so it is somewhat important in front.
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I plan to put a Tkat brace on there at some point, although I haven't noticed any significant difference in handling with the fender off. It's pretty flimsy, so I don't think it has nearly the affect of a proper fork brace.
                      Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Keeping the center stand on the bike is a good idea, changing the rear tire would be impossible without it if you were on the side of the road or in a strangers driveway. Other than that, there isnt much IMO that I would consider taking off.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Unless you are looking to lighten the bike for performance, in which case a redundant and very heavy center stand is probably not for you!
                          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                          X