Need HELP quick!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP quick!!!

My dealer told me it would cost me 700$ bucks to repair my carbs! I own a xs1100SF Eleven special. I found a set of MIDNIGHT SPECIAL already rebuilted for 300$ Will it fit on my bike?

All the carbs are interchangeable as long as all the carbs in the set are the same. I will take your old carbs off your hands for you if you want them out of your way!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      All the carbs are interchangeable as long as all the carbs in the set are the same. I will take your old carbs off your hands for you if you want them out of your way!
      IS THIS GOOD???
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...Q5fAccessories

Comment

That would work great.. Those are some very nice looking carbs!

All the XS's more or less had the same carbs. There was a small change between 79 and 80 I think but as long as all the carbs in the set are the same you can take a set of 82 carbs and put them on a 78 doesnt matter
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Heck if I had the money I would buy those!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

I am serious I would be willing to take your non working carbs off your hands if you want.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'll see when the bike will be running!

Comment

No no no no max

STOP STOP STOP DOn't spend that much on carbs Max. They are not that hard to work on and I'm sure some of your Canadian brothers could help you rebuild yours.
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

+1 on the carb work. They are nowhere near as tough to clean as you are thinking. Just clean them one at a time and keep the parts with the carb they came out of.

I hate ending a sentence like that!

If you can lay your hands on a sonic cleaner the job is a snap. A mix of Simple Green and Dawn Dishwashing soap in the sonic cleaner and you won't believe the junk that will come out of those things.

If not the sonic way a couple cans of carb cleaner some hot water with the soap and Green and a toothbrush (don't use your own) and scrub.

BE SURE TO USE SCREWDRIVERS THAT FIT THE SCREW SLOTS PROPERLY. Grind one to fit or buy one but don't use a driver that doesn't fit. You may wing up with a drill in your hand and a set of screw extractors.

Go slow and pay attention and ASK QUESTIONS.
                    You will do fine. As dbotter58 said, there might be someone right around the corner who has "been there done that".
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

an 82 carb bank wouldn't work without modifying something....

i just remember that they are different.
                      (sorry not much help)
                      but there are difences between years of carbs.

78-80, 80 may work.... i'm fuzzy on that one...

but that's beside the point.

you can do it.
                      just take 1 apart at a time, that way if you can't remember how to assemble
                      it you can just look at the next one.

clean and area to work in/on and get 8 dishes to put parts in.
                      2per carb and do NOT mix parts!!! there are a few parts that are carb specific.

read in tech tips before you start and rebuilt the petcocks/octy at the same time so you're not fighting more then one thing at a time.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

as i said, YOU can do it.

if... you have problems let me know and i can help you out.
                      stock carbs on a stock bike i can do...
                      rejetting for a modified bike is giving me a headache.
                      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                      1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                        +1 on the carb work. They are nowhere near as tough to clean as you are thinking. Just clean them one at a time and keep the parts with the carb they came out of.

I hate ending a sentence like that!

If you can lay your hands on a sonic cleaner the job is a snap. A mix of Simple Green and Dawn Dishwashing soap in the sonic cleaner and you won't believe the junk that will come out of those things.

If not the sonic way a couple cans of carb cleaner some hot water with the soap and Green and a toothbrush (don't use your own) and scrub.
                        Wouldn't use my toothbrush would use the wife's
                        1980 XS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by nate View Post
                          Wouldn't use my toothbrush would use the wife's
                          Just as long as she doesnt find out! Or if your looking to have an EX wife
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

careful

Be careful with the simple green, don't leave them in too long and rinse thoroughly as soon as you take them out. It reacts with the aluminum bodies and they will start to oxidize if you let it dry on them. I can tell you from experience that it's a bitch to stop. Also, don't let anything like carb cleaner get on your butterfly shaft seals.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

That is an awful pretty looking set of 1980 or 81 carbs for sure. Nice powder coat on the bodies and shiney shiney diaphram covers. and only $375. Now if your int he market cause you want some really NICE LOOKING carbs, well buy away. If you looking because you want them to work, well, I know of a clean set with a recent rebuild that sold for about half that recently.

A good set of complete carb kits will run you about $80 give or take. If you have never been through them before and or they are REALLY gunky, expect about 8 hours of work or so on them. As stated, take a spare small and a spare medium screw driver and grind the ends to match the width of the slots in the jets perfectly. Also, get some PB blaster or Liquid wrench and soak the livign daylights out of the screws and the jets before you try to remove them. And no, WD-40 is not a good substitute, BTDT bought the T-shirt.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X