No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark

Ok I Have no spark. I know I had posted about this a few weeks ago, but I have been busy with a new baby! At the TCI I have 10.6v on the orange and the grey wires. When I crank it, the voltage drops to about 7.5 according to my DMM, I dont have an anolog multimeter so I have to go with what I got. A little history on the bike : 81 xs 1100 SH. The previous owner had jacked up the wires in the headlight so I replaced the wire harness and now I am not getting spark. I replaced the harness b/c my tach was not working, even after it had been replaced. What should be my next step. I'm not all that familiar with electrical stuff so suggestions have to be made simple!
    1981 xs1100SH, my first bike and bike project!

Did you use an 81 harness?
    They be different than other years.
    Your manual should show the "safety wiring" used on 81's and later to keep them from starting but pretty sure they also keep the starter form turning.

I'd check the wiring to the coils, pick-up coils, handle bar engine switch etc for starters...

mro

Comment

At the TCI, I checked the pickup coil wires. I pulled the 4 wire connecter. The bottom 2 wires I got 746, the top 2 I got777. Could that mean something??? I pulled the timing cover and did what was suggested (pulling lightly on the wires to see if one is broken, but didnt find anything) If someone could walk me through checking the coils I can make sure I did it right. I think I got 4.4 ohms and 5.6 ohms going to the coils and between 16k and 19k from the coils to the plugs.
      Last edited by jte8969; 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I did use an 81 harness too! I dont think I have a balast resistor though. I've looked for it but dont see one. Where exactly would it be??

Comment

Sounds like you need to get to cleaning connectors. 10.6v at the TCI is too low - below 10.5 it won't fire the coils. Pay particular attention to the red/wht wire and it's connections - it's what supplies power to the ignition. It goes from the fuse block, to the handlebar killl switch (which also needs to be disassembled and cleaned), to the ignition coil 'Y' connector. Pickup coils are within' spec for the numbers you posted, but it never hurts to do the pull test on the wires. Might want to test the battery too.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

whats the best thing to use to clean connections?

Comment

+1 on checking the battery voltage. What kind of condition is your fuse box in, you might want to invest in a replacement from TopCat.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

whats the best thing to use to clean connections?
                I pull the wires out from the back of the housing and clean them with a small wire brush, fine sand paper and wired-pipe cleaners. If you see corrosion where the bare wire exits the sheath it's probably a good idea to cut off the end and install a new crimp-on connector. Some members like to pack the housings with dielectric grease, but I prefer to just squirt them with WD40.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Temporarily WD works, but is very corrosive, not a good mix.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Weak battery

The reason the tach isn't working is because it's not charging the battery. You need 10.5 volts to the TCI when cranking to get any spark.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...