Clear All

• Where do I start, pardon the pun!

The facts:

1982 XJ1100.

The bike worked three days ago.

I turn the key on, all the lights come on, the computer comes on
    and the neutral light comes on. The directional lights and the horn
    works.

Push the starter button and nothing happens.

Plugged in the battery tender in over night. 12.99 volts.

Push the starter button and nothing happens.

Where do I start to look and what should I be looking for.
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

most likely it's the ignition fuse (my 79 did the identical thing)

take a pair of pliers and short from one side of the fuse to the other.
    and then with that in place, hit the starter botton.

if this starts your bike, then you will have to replace the fuse block.

the factory fuse blocks are brittle and loosen over time, so they don't contact
    correctly, you must replace the fuse block or it will leave you stranded.

see here:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14052

good luck

Webs
    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

I believe the XJ starting circuit would be similar if not the same as the XS. First thing I would check is the solenoid. Short across the high side fo the solenoid (connect the two bolts wiht bigger wire on them) and see if the starter turns.

If it does, then look at the low side, pull the 2 wire connector that runs the low side of the solenoid, and jumper from the battery positive to the red/white wire, and from the blue /white wire to ground or the battery negative terminal. If the starter turns, then the solenoid is good. Now check the other end of that red/white wire connector that is part of the harness, see if it has voltage by connecting your meter positive to the wire and negative to ground or the battery negative terminal. If you have 12 volts, then it is in the starter button or the grounds.

The starter button only completes the ground side of the solenoid.

Hope that helps.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The XJ is a bit of a PITA because it has a few starting safety interlocks!

The sidestand switch can go bad preventing it from starting.

The emergency kill switch at the handlebars can corrode causing problems.

The clutch lever has a safety switch as well.

There might be more, can't recall right now, but that's enough to get you started on checking.

The sidestand wires just need to be jumped all together to bypass it.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

A couple of years ago when Ben and I were working on his XJ he had a similar problem. One of those interlocks has a diode in line. I forget which interlock had it, but the connections at the diode were corroded. We cleaned it up and soldered it in and the problem was fixed.

Comment

Well, having checked that the kill switch was on, the fuses and fuse box were good, jumping the solenoid and the starter turned, jumping the solenoid to the battery and the starter turned, I called in some help.

The voltage to the starter was checker (good) and the starter and kill switch cleaned.

The voltage to and from the TCI was checked (none).

The TCI was switched out and no voltage.

While john was contemplating the the different relays in the starting circuit Adam was on the other side of the bike and noticed an after market three spade connector with only two wires connected to it. He ask me what it was for. I went around and looked closely and determined it was part of the anti-theft unit. Adam reached in behind the frame and found a hidden kill switch and switch it on. Instant fix!

It was only then that I remembered that the PO told me about the hidden kill switch when I bought the bike last October. Big DOH.

Thanks for the advice and special thanks goes to John, Adam and John for their hands on help and sharp eyes.
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Previous Bikes
            1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
            1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
            1982 Honda CB900c
            1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
            1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Working...
            X