First gear probs.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear probs.......

OK, I have read through the dremel tool fix for fist gear clacking....want to make sure, the best I can, that my prob might be fixed with this method. It looks like a big job so............I have adjusted the clutch cable...good there, I pull the clutch in wait 5 sec. or so........while i'm sitten with the clutch pulled in and in 1st.....no probs. Let out clutch and try to pull away.....clack...clack....more like a machine gun . Get into 2nd and no probs.....rest of gears fine. As I'm ridden along I can hear small rattlen noise like somethings bouncing around in eng. Any help would be appreicated. I'm ready to ride this thing!
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

"Machine gun" is the common description of the proplem fixed by the "dremel fix". Sounds to me like you need to get in there and grind some gears. In 1st, does it try to jump out of gear when you gun it?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

1st

I'm afraid so...........
      At this time:
      1985 Goldwing Innr.
      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
      2007 vtx 1300
      81 sx 1100 s h
      81 sx 400 special

Comment

Time to break it down man, no getting around it at this point unless you want to start in second gear all the time. At this point everything is a trade-off...
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by brcree View Post
          I'm afraid so...........
          No biggie. It's a relatively large job, but it's not difficut. Take your time, and allow an entire Saturday afternoon to do it. Read through all the tech tips on the subject, and print them out to take with you to the garage.

You don't have to flip the bike as the tech tip suggests though. Centerstand works just fine, as long as you're ok with laying on the ground under the bike.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

1st gear

Gotya man...oh well, there goes another weekend.............
            At this time:
            1985 Goldwing Innr.
            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
            2007 vtx 1300
            81 sx 1100 s h
            81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by brcree View Post
              Gotya man...oh well, there goes another weekend.............
              Just look at it as an opportunity to get to know your bike better!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

1st gear

Hey Bug.........LOL......I'm already on a first name basis. I know it will be worth every minute of ridden when its done. I've gotten a look at what this bike will be like when I ride it in 2nd ans so on! Its fought me the entire way back to life. I will "endeavor to persevere"....Outlaw Jossie Wells!
                At this time:
                1985 Goldwing Innr.
                1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                2007 vtx 1300
                81 sx 1100 s h
                81 sx 400 special

Comment

They all fight until you prove to them your a worthy captain by fixing all that ails them. It can be a turbulent process for sure.

This is the classic tell tale of the dremmel repair blues. Study the tech-tip and read it through a coupel times before you begin, so you do not skip a step getting in a hurry and end up with an ah**** moment. It can be done wihtout flipping the bike, however, working upside down on your back to load the gears and the shift forks back is alot more work than with the bike flipped. I've done it three times now with the bike on the center stand. Next one I'm flipping the beast.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

1st gear

Thanks DGXSER for the encouragement......I will try the "on the cent stand path", don't want to go through the flippen of the beast. I've printed out the "distructions" and will read over them many times. Will let you know how it comes out! It's been a long strange trip indeed. I've tried to figure out why this bike was parked so long ago with not that many miles on it. It was on the road for only 4 yrs. After getting it started again and finding this trans prob. I know why now.
                    Last edited by brcree; 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM.
                    At this time:
                    1985 Goldwing Innr.
                    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                    2007 vtx 1300
                    81 sx 1100 s h
                    81 sx 400 special

Comment

Without finding this site, alot of things I have learned and done to these machines would have stumped me into probably ditching the things myself. There is a world of knowledge and encouragement here that is unmatched and invaluable.

Through God all things are possible, through XS11.com all bikes can run again!!
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I am there too, man... I really didnt want to spend the 4th weekend NOT riding. But 1st gear wont let me forget it needs a fixin'...... But I really miss doing holeshots w/it.
                        '79 XS 1100F

Comment

Working...
                        X