Speedo problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo problem

I finally got my '79 xs together but on her first ride out the speedo isn't working. I checked the front drive and the speedo cable does turn. I stuck an old piece of cable into the speedo itself and turned it with a drill but nothing moves.

Is there any trick to taking the speedo apart or is there anything else I should be looking for before I crack it open?

I see all over the site that the 160mph speedometer seems to be a special item or might have been only available on certain models. My speedo reads up to 160, is a square unit paired with a square tach (with fuel gauge), in between is the idiot lights for the turn signals, neutral, etc. Is this the stock cluster for the 1979 XS1100F or did someone add this to the bike?
    Me Make Big Dings Wid Hamma N Welda

1979 XS1100F
    1985 VMX1200

The speedo unit you have is the stock unit for your 79 Standard. You will have to carefully pry off the trim bezel to get inside, or find a replacement unit on ebay. 78-79 Standards use that type speedometer. If you do a search for speedo, you will find some threads regarding the disassembly procedure.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ok, dumb question, but did you try spinning it in both directions?

Comment

speedo

Like Randy asked...did you spin it in both directions? I had same prob awhile back and putting drill in reverse made the speedo go. Drill must be runnen on high as well. I had a Honda speedo go out all of a sudden, don't know if Honda's & Yamaha's are made the same, maybe close: but at the drive gear end ( on wheel) there was a round flat washer looken thing with two tabs on it bent up 90 degrees. These tabs made contact with the drive gear that also had tabs at 90 degrees. The washer tabs had been bent down somehow so weren't making contact with drive gear. Bent tabs back up 90 deg. and ....there ya go "Bobs your Uncle".
        Last edited by brcree; 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM.
        At this time:
        1985 Goldwing Innr.
        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
        2007 vtx 1300
        81 sx 1100 s h
        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, I did try to spin it in both directions. I'm going to tear it apart tonight and if it's shot, I'll check around for a replacement.

1979 XS1100F
          1985 VMX1200

Comment

Turns out there was a broken piece of cable up inside the speedo. The cable I used to turn it maybe wasn't going far enough in. I cleaned it out and replaced the inside cable with a universal repair kit from NAPA (BK 615 1795). She works great now. Thanks for the help.

1979 XS1100F
            1985 VMX1200

Comment

Working...
            X