Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another eating humble pie

ive been telling people to set their floats on the lean side of
    stock well after spending the past week messing around with these carbs with different float levels and jets,
    its been the wrong advice.
    the engine performs best at the stock setting or slightly on the rich side .2 - .3mm.
    with setting the floats on the leaner side i found i was compensating by raising the main and pilot jets because the engine was running to lean,
    very minor adj on the floats make a big difference on how the bike accelerates under throttle, as little as .3mm i was noticing the need to go to larger jets, also noticed several other things these became more evident the leaner i set the float settings,
    the engines idle would rise whilst sitting at the lights,
    the engine would take longer to warm up,
    was harder to start,
    the engine felt like it was running out of gas under load,
    the bike felt like it had no or little engine braking when back off the throttle,
    the idle mixture screws could be turned with little effect,
    i couldnt hear the mains kick in (slides fully open)
    the bike would take off unless the revs were over 4500rpm and the throttle
    was cracked more than half way open,
    flat acceleration under load under part throttle openings.

once i began to to richen the floats back to stock and then richen in increments of .1mm, the throttle response returned, my back ran best at a setting of 22.9mm at that setting i had strong throttle repsonse from off idle to redline in all gears and good roll on throttle reponse at high revs.

So for any1 i told to lean there fuel settings i apologise, try setting it slightly richer to stock, if youve raised your pilots or mains to compensate, change back to the stock settings and go from there, be particular with the mixture screw settings, the richer the fuel float setting the more accurate the idle mixture screws settings need to be.

the way i checked for the correct float setting was have the bike in 5th gear
    with the revs at 3000rpm then crack the throttle to half way, if the bike lags (flat) then takes off its slightle lean, if it bogs then takes off its rich, there should be no lag when the throttle is cracked.
    minor adjustment can be made with the mixture screws a quarter of a turn either way to see if there is any improvent,
    also with a richer setting the mixture screw should be set closer to stock around 1 and a quarter turned out.

sorry if its drawn out i just wanted to explain why it isnt good to lean the floats out especially as many have been doing it lately.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

nothing quite like eating crow.

Life is a journey not a destination.

I make new mistakes each and every day.
    some day's i'm even lucky enough to make old mistakes..

to be honust i'm not even sure where mine are set anymore.
    i've been in and out of my carbs so many times i have forgotten.

i too have to humble myself to the XS masters in the hopes that they may tell me what i've messed up now.(figuritivly)

Thank you, everyone for your kindness and patients..

Webs
    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

It's some what of a know fact that these older XS11s prefer to run slightly on the rich side. Even the supplier of the color tunes suggests tuning for the emergence of the yellow flame in the instructions for the XS11.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Look at it this way Pete, your less likely to go hungry!!

Reminds me of something a really good man I worked for once told me when he hired me out of college "your going to make mistakes, I expect you to make mistakes. But if you make the same one twice, your fired!!"

Of course he was telling me to go out and do things but learn from what you mess up. You've gone one step better and let all of us learn from it. My favorite way to learn, from someone elses mistakes instead fo the usual way, my own.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X