No announcement yet.

Need some help - bike keeps stalling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help - bike keeps stalling...

Hi,

I bought a used 1980 XS1100 and the previous owner has tweeked some of the settings, throttle, etc. I need some help resetting those. But first things first... I had the choke open for too long one of the first times I was starting it and now the oil light comes on when I try to start it. I can get it going but eventually it stalls. So my question is what would be the best remedy?

Also how do I adjust the throttle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Originally posted by artfulanimal View Post
    Hi, I had the choke open for too long one of the first times I was starting it and now the oil light comes on when I try to start it.
    These two items are completely separate. The choke/enricher has NOTHING to do with the oil light, except if it helps the engine start so it goes off. When you first turn the key on, the oil light will be on. When you crank the engine over enough times or it starts the oil light will/should go off.

If you cranked witht he enricher on and flooded the plugs, you cna simply pull them out and let them dry of blow them off then put back in and try again.

I can get it going but eventually it stalls. So my question is what would be the best remedy?
    If ti starts and runs decent for a few minutes, then sputters and eventually dies, then it is running our of gas. Not in the tank, but from the tank to the carbs. Try looking at the vent hole in the gas cap, look for kinked fuel lines.

Also how do I adjust the throttle?
    The idle is adjusted by a big screws with knurled side for screwdriver blades to catch. It sits on the fornt of the carbs underneath, hanging down in the middle of the rack.

HTH
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Get yourself

a factory manual. They are available on this site and read through it. Also there is a thread here under maintenance on things to begin with when reserecting an old bike. Read these first then drain all the fluids and replace with new. Pull the tank and check all the lines and ensure vacumn hoses are in the right places. Then put in some new gas, then try to start it. Beware that engine oil light should go off pretty quick when it starts. If it doesn't shut it down right away.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Do you have enough gas in the tank?Are the fuel things on reserve?You say that you have an 1980 XS1100 but what model is it?Include that in your signature would make it a lot easier to diagnose the issue.What do the plugs look like?What is the adjustment that you want to do with the throttle?
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!! As soon as I get a chance to work on my bike I'll be sure to post how it all works out. And when I find a minute to update my signature I'll be sure to include model details. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X