I need HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need HELP

I sold my xj1100 and three days later it stops charging!So the mechanic says its the charging rotor that the brushes run against that is the culprit. Will the rotor off an xs1100 work? If so does anyone have a spare off a blown motor ? The dealer wants 600.00 plus for a new one !!!! None on ebay that i could find . thanks in advance .....MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Hi Mitch,
    Not to sound like an A-hole, but if it quit AFTER you sold it, how is it then your problem?
    If it can be brought back to you, maybe I can take my XS back to the guy I bought mine from (?) LOL
    Sorry
    I will try the parts places around here and see if there is an assembly available.
    '79 Special

Comment

3 DAYS

Well he only had it 3 days and i feel bad hes a good guy, just tryin to help him out.I found one at ontariocycle salvage for 300 bucks plus frieght! but hopefully we can find one for a little less thanks for your reply ..........MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I'd grab a multi tester and check it out for myself. It would suck if you bought a new field coil when the problem was a bad connection.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Mitch, I have one that I will sell for a heck of a lot less than the $300 that they want, but I didn't see any responses to your original post.
          Will the parts fom the XS11 work on the XJ11? I was under the impression that the charging system was differant.
          Let me know what you determine.
          Unless it is a real BI*@h to remove, I can pull one this weekend.
          Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can swap the alternator from an XS motor into an XJ motor, but you will also have to use the XS cover. SWMBO's 'H has an XJ motor with an XS alternator and cover. Notice the XJ valve cover, the YICS gallery, and the XS alternator cover:
            [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20030829-dsc02236.jpg[/IMG]
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X