Quick question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question...

While runnen a y junction in my fuel lines from the petcocks...left petcock feeding rt carbs.......right petcock feeding left. carbs.......what position do you run the petcocks in....on......prime...or does it matter? Stock 81 h model. No snork.
    Last edited by brcree; 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM.
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

I'm a little confused, if your running a Y then aren't both petcocks feeding both sets of carbs?

Regardless you should run the petcocks in the proper position for what your doing, so run when your driving, prime when you need gas without the motor running, and Reserve after you run out in the "run" position.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

81h.........on. Prime flows all the time, Reserve picks up fuel lower in the tank when you forget to fuel-up. Cris-crossing lines is just fine and NEEDS to be done if running inline filters plus with the longer lines un-cris-cross them, turn tank around and set where seat goes for tunin and syncing carbs. Never understood why the Specials didn't use vacuum petcocks like the Standards.........guess the same reason for the screwy front brake set-up on the Specials......just cause they can, go figure.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

While it may seem more useful for some to crisscross to add an inline filter, I never could make it work. I just run the line from the left petcock down between carbs 1 & 2 and put an inline filter on it and right to the 1 & 2 carb fuel T, same with the other side. Works great.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Quick

Thanks for the info guys....will work on it today. No. 1&2 spark plugs weren't getting any gas or not much. Could be the floats maybe.......
          At this time:
          1985 Goldwing Innr.
          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
          2007 vtx 1300
          81 sx 1100 s h
          81 sx 400 special

Comment

Most likely a kinked fuel line, or an air pocket. This was the reason I quit trying to do the corssover, I would ALWAYS end up with a kinked line and or an air pocket. Don't get me wrong, either can happen with my routing as well. Just ALOT less likely in my experience.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Quick

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! All cyl poppen now boys!!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!
              At this time:
              1985 Goldwing Innr.
              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
              2007 vtx 1300
              81 sx 1100 s h
              81 sx 400 special

Comment

On my LG I run a hose from right petcock to the left petcock. In this line I have two 'T's. Hose goes from each 'T' to the carbs below.
                This way all four carbs run from either or both petcocks (runs fine on just one petcock). This also allows me to reach down to switch to reserve with left hand. When convienient I then switch the right side.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

quick

Hay Pat, now there ya go man......was wondering how to find Y fittings, I confused some by saying I was runnen Y's in the lines, sorry reefer.....I was just using one line, sorry. Two T's ya say between the petcocks and then down to the carbs.......hummmmmmm that will work!
                  Last edited by brcree; 06-26-2010, 12:48 PM.
                  At this time:
                  1985 Goldwing Innr.
                  1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                  2007 vtx 1300
                  81 sx 1100 s h
                  81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                    On my LG I run a hose from right petcock to the left petcock. In this line I have two 'T's. Hose goes from each 'T' to the carbs below.
                    This way all four carbs run from either or both petcocks (runs fine on just one petcock). This also allows me to reach down to switch to reserve with left hand. When convienient I then switch the right side.
                    I like that Idea!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                    X