Shiny bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny bottles

I recently replaced my fubar-rusted stock mufflers with short lengths of 1-1/2" o/d exhaust pipe welded to the stock headers and a pair of Triumph mufflers I bought for $35 at a swapmeet.
    Here are the close-up photos:-
    Left

and right

The Triumph muffler brackets bolt up exactly onto the stock XS11 muffler attachment points.
    I had to ball-pein hammer a groove into the top of each muffler to clear the XS11's cast aluminum footpeg brackets but they don't show.
    And oh boy, what a lovely note. But that and the improved performance are likely due to the exhaust gases not leaking out of the original mufflers' cracked welds any more.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

triumph muffs

Hey Fred, do you know what year, size engine the triumph muffs were off of?? They look pretty cool, kind of classic with the large, small diameters. Is the sound more rumble, loud?? Let us xs'rs know as most of our mufflers are aging by the year and its good to know what are the alternatives, besides harley mufflers..................Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
      Hey Fred, do you know what year, size engine the triumph muffs were off of?? They look pretty cool, kind of classic with the large, small diameters. Is the sound more rumble, loud?? Let us xs'rs know as most of our mufflers are aging by the year and its good to know what are the alternatives, besides harley mufflers..................Mike in Sun Diego
      Hi Mike,
      I got them at a swapmeet. All I saw was the $35 price tag.
      I dunno if they are stock Triumph or aftermarkets as there are no makings on them.
      It's most likely they came off a 650 Twin but that's just a guess.
      You can see right through them, there's just what looks like a cross or an X in the bore.
      There has to be some kind of sound absorption packing inside them because the sound is not raucus, in fact it's kinda mellow and they are nowhere near as loud as I feared they would be after I saw daylight through them.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

They probably came off one of the new 900 twins that looks like the old 750 Tiger twin. I guess Triumph riders are now doing the Harley thing with their exhausts...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          ...I dunno if they are stock Triumph or aftermarkets as there are no makings on them...
          With no markings, that makes them either pre-82 (EPA regs required identification at that point IIRC) or a aftermarket replacement. The fact that the mounts connected to the XS makes me think they're the latter.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            They probably came off one of the new 900 twins that looks like the old 750 Tiger twin. I guess Triumph riders are now doing the Harley thing with their exhausts...

Geezer
            Looks to me like the Yamaha guys are doing it.
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Cool

This is a cool look.......I think you can find pipes like this from GoldWing 1100's aswell.........
              At this time:
              1985 Goldwing Innr.
              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
              2007 vtx 1300
              81 sx 1100 s h
              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
              X