what have I got here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what have I got here?

I just bought a yamaha 1100. I was told that it was a midnight special but nothing leads me to believe it is. It seems to be a 1100 xs. But I am not sure really what it is. it has 1100xs on side covers it is maroon with gold pinstriping (original) is it an xs gs ???? help dear club!

Midnight Special

Welcome to our family! Do you have any pictures you can post? If you look in the bikes for sale part of the forum there are a couple Midnight Specials for sale with pictures. The members here will give as much help as you will ever need for working on these bikes!
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

if you put up the first 3 digits of your
      engine or frame number, we'll be able to tell
      you quick enough.

welcome to the forum.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Welcome to the madness of XS11 ownership!!

ALOT of people see that the "Midnight Special" version is worth more than the others and advertise their bikes as being one. I have even written to a local person who was advertising on CL like that and gave him all the info and he never changed his ad. My project bike has Midnight Special emblems on the side covers, but will not be advertised as one when I sell it because it is not, it is an 81 Special.

As old as these bikes are, alot of parts get changed out through the years with something from another model. So, it is not uncommon to find what has been affectionately termed "Frankenbikes". The Vin no on the steering head of the bike is the only "true" identification of the bike, as even the engine may be a swap out. There is thread on here to help ID the bike from the VIN.

To post pictures here, you need to open an account with a pic sharing site like Photobucket. Then you can place the IMG link from there into your post here and the photo shows here. With a couple pics of the bike, alot of people here could tell you what you have right down to the year it was made.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your aquisition! MNS or not, these are great bikes, and you'll find answers to any of your questions about it here on this forum. Compare your VIN/Serial Number to this list and let us know what you find. Also, we like pictures! You can't upload them directly to this forum, but here's some instructions on how to get them here.

Also, if you don't have one yet, you can download a copy of the service manual from the link in my signature. Be sure to read through all the tech tips, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome

From what you describe..it sounds like an xs1100 standard. Do you know what the fuel tank capacity is? Standards had 5.3 gallon capacity where Specials had 3.5.
            Also, most Specials have "tear drop" style fuel tanks where Standards came with larger "bread box" types.
            Another clue would be the headlight and turn signals. Standards are square and Specials are round.

Welcome to the Xs-ive gang.

Kevin Welsh
            Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
            Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Comment

Besides which, a true Midnight Special is black, and gold.
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Sorry Guys,

Anything that can be removed has on a lot of these bikes. The ONLY way to tell what the original configuration was, is the VIN on the frame. Everything else including the engine may have been "basterdized" or changed by the PO.
                The engine has a VIN but as far as I know all the DOT's go by the frame's VIN. When in doubt check the number!

This is a repeat of what others have informed you in this thread but I felt the need to dwell on.
                Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM.
                '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                Original except:
                120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by revscottm View Post
                  I just bought a yamaha 1100. I was told that it was a midnight special but nothing leads me to believe it is. It seems to be a 1100 xs. But I am not sure really what it is. it has 1100xs on side covers it is maroon with gold pinstriping (original) is it an xs gs ???? help dear club!
                  Hi rev and welcome,
                  the frame number prefix will tell you what the bike was when it left the factory, hit the "search" button and ask it for "frame number/identity"
                  Your bike may have been modified to suit past owners preferences. It's easy to do because XS11 parts swap like LEGO.
                  Post some photos via photobucket or other public photo site (the system will not show photos direct from your computer) to see what all those POs have done to it over the years.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X